These news items were the talk of the town on October 4, 1901

John E.. Smith has a banana tree at his house which during the past few weeks has borne forty bananas, large and plump specimens. He has another tree of the same sort which is just entering its fruit-bearing period, but whose fruit may prove abortive this year on account of appearing so late in the season.

Some thirty Norwood Masons went to Canton last Tuesday evening, accompanying D, D, G 4., J. A. Hartshorn in his official visitation to Blue Hill Lodge.
Mrs. Fred E. Colburn returned from Southport last Monday.

Howard D. Snow and Perley B. Thompson start on Wednesday next on their annual hunting expedition in the woods of Maine.

Mr. and Mrs. B. F. Osgood were called to Medford last Saturday by the illness of the latter’s father, who had met with an accident whereby two ribs were broken and other injuries are feared.

Mrs. Harry L. Rhodes and daughter have returned from a visit to Maine of several weeks duration.

Mrs. Ernest Grant has returned from an extended visit at Northwood, N. H.

Rev. W. B. Eddy and George W. Gay have been elected delegates to the general convention of the Universalist church which opens in Buffalo, N. Y., October 18.

Mr. J. H. Hart of Lynn, a registered pharmacist of large experience and good reputation, will conduct the prescription department of P. B. Thompson’s drug store during the latter’s vacation trip in the woods of Maine. Mr. Hart was in Norwood for a time in the summer of 1900, and will be very pleasantly remembered by those who met him then.

Mr. and Mrs. F. O. Winslow and Mr. and Airs. F. G. Allen returned Monday noon after a week of sightseeing in Buffalo and at the Pan-American.
The tennis club is to give a minstrel show the first part of January and the executive committee is already at work 1 planning to give the people of this vicinity a rare treat.

Related:  This Day in Norwood History-August 8, 1957-New England Police Revolver League Medal Winners

A very pleasant occasion was observed at the home of Dr. F. II. Nutting last Saturday afternoon, when his daughter, Bernice Maud Nutting, celebrated her 13th birthday. Twelve boys and twelve girls gathered to honor the event. Miss Bernice was the recipient of a multitude of pretty and useful presents, books, silver souvenirs and other articles. Gaines, music, and a general good time occupied the afternoon. Miss Sibley played a supper march for the young people, who did full justice to the ice cream, cake, hot chocolate and candles. It was an affair to be long and pleasantly remembered.

Mrs. Lena C. Osgood, Past Noble Grand of Eunice Rebekah Lodge, of Hyde Park, has been appointed Special Deputy of the Grand Master of Wm.

Parkman Rebekah Lodge of Jamaica Plain and Miriam Rebekah Lodge of Roxbury. She made her first official visit to Wm. Park-man Lodge Wednesday evening, assisted by her Grand Marshal, Mrs. Jennie E. Bettenson, Past Noble Grand of Olive Branch Lodge of Cambridgeport.

Mr. and Mrs. J. A. Crocker are spending the week at Mr. Crocker’s old home in Provincetown.

Charles E. Belcher has removed from near the Balch schoolhouse to a house on Dean Street.

Fred W. Swinerton has removed from Prospect Avenue and Nichols Street to Hyde Park.

Invitations are out for the marriage of Mr. Herbert Percy Everett and Miss Grace Marion Train, to take place in the Universalist church on Wednesday evening, October 16.

There have been more than the usual crowds from Norwood attending the Brockton fair, and the Norwood, Canton, and Sharon Street railway has enjoyed a liberal patronage. There were pretty good-sized crowds on Wednesday, and yesterday morning saw multitudes of people from Walpole, East Walpole and surrounding villages, as well as from Norwood, boarding the electrics on Day Street. As usual, the fair has been accompanied by pretty good weather.

John E. Smith is in New York City this week.

Related:  This Day In Norwood History-January 4, 1925-Norwood Youth, B. U. Student, Yesterday Told Policeman He Had Lost Memory

Messrs. Harry Allen, Harry Turner, H. D.-SeeAr, Eugene Winslow, and Mereau went in a bunch to the Brockton fair Thursday,

F. M. Douglass has been kept from his usual activity one or two days by a severe cold.

The Norwood A. C. football team will have its first game of the season to-morrow at Dedham with the Dedham team.

The sympathy of the public generally will go out to Henry L. Fifield of Dean street in his deep bereavement in the death of his little son, Leon, six years old. Death came suddenly and unexpectedly after a very brief illness with cerebrospinal meningitis. Funeral services were held Tuesday and were conducted by Rev. B. F. Perkins of East Walpole.

The teachers in the High school and the ninth and eighth grades had a visiting day yesterday, and of course the pupils all remained at home and did not go to Brockton.

Considerable complaint is made of the vandalism of small boys with airguns, who arc said to be killing cats, squirrels and birds and committing other depredations.

The Norwood Literary Club holds its first meeting of the season next Monday evening with Mrs. B. F. Colburn. The time will be devoted to the election of officers, annual reports and adoption of the plan of work for the year. What spare time there is will be given tip to vacation experiences. Quotations will be on “Greeting.” Any member who does not desire to remain a member the coming year is requested to notify the secretary on or before Monday night.

Dr. and Mrs. L. H. Plimpton returned at midnight Tuesday from their trip abroad.

Miss Frieda Formean is visiting the Buffalo Exposition.

Clarence Cheney is recovering from his attack of malaria.

Mrs. H. A. Halstead was called to Sussex, N. J., last Wednesday by the serious illness of her father.

George F. Baker left here yesterday for a visit to St. John, N. B.

John C. Currier and family returned from Southport last Wednesday.

Related:  This Day in Norwood History-August 14

John Imhoff, well known here as a stone mason, was arrested in Brockton last Saturday for assault with a dangerous weapon, being accused of assaulting his wife, his daughter and son and one or two other persons with an axe. He is now in Plymouth jail, having failed to secure the $2000 bail required in his case. Imhoff is known in Norwood as a good workman and people here speak highly of him in other respects. It had been expected that he would come here to live. It. is thought possible that there may be some mitigating circumstances in the case.

The Woman’s Club held its first meeting of to season last Tuesday afternoon at Library Hall. Mrs. J. C. Lane presided. Prof, W. G. Ward of Boston gave an address on “What shall We lead?” which was a very fascinating review of the best literature. Lectures by noted speakers will this season be given before the club once a month. A course of reading and study for the members is being arranged.

Rev. Edgar Jones, lately of Morgan Chapel has been appointed pastor of the M. E. church. This appointment is, we understand, in full accordance with the wishes of the Methodist people here.

(Originally published in the Norwood Advertiser and Review)