These news items were the talk of the town on September 27, 1901


W. Winthrop Everett, formerly of Norwood, now of Rochester, N. Y., was at the Pan-American exposition when President McKinley was shot. He was just outside the Temple of Music when he heard the shots. He writes that it was some considerable time before the statement that the President had been shot was believed on the ground.

Ernest W. Ellis proved himself one of the best shots at the pigeon shoot and clambake of the East, Walpole Gun Club last Saturday.

Last Tuesday morning one of the big vestibule cars brought over the largest number of Canton and Sharon people yet brought over on one trip. The crowd was en route to Dedham, called there bv a hearing before the county commissioners on the widening of Blue Hill Avenue in Milton for the purpose of affording more space for street car tracks for the Blue Hill electric line.

John Cleveland Pond of Walpole Street celebrated his 87th birthday last Monday and was pleasantly remembered by several friends, one of whom took him to ride. He also called on his sister, Mrs. Louisa Ellis. Mr. Pond has resided in Norwood for the past fifty years. He is in fair health for one of his age.
Mrs. Isaac Smith of Whitman has been visiting her daughters, Mrs. Samuel Swett and Mrs. Oliver McLeod.

Mr. and Mrs. C. F. Whitney are visiting friends in Farmington, Me.

W. Allen Talbot is at home from North Scituate for a few days.

Two horses belonging to M. D. Creed have died suddenly within the past week or two, after exhibiting strange symptoms. As far as veterinarian opinion and analysis have gone the indications are those of poisoning. Both horses died in frightful spasms and the post-morten, examinations point to arsenics poisoning. Mr. Creed does not feel positive enough about this, however, to make any statement concerning it. He is just now unable to believe that the animals died from natural causes, but is wholly at a loss to conceive who could be so depraved as to commit such a dastardly act as the poisoning of inoffensive dumb animals.

The Norwood Board of Trade bolds its initial meeting of the season next Tuesday evening in Odd Fellows’ hall. After supper, which will be served at 7 o’clock, the’following matters will be considered: Resolutions on the death of President McKinley and a eulogy by Rev. G. W. Nead; Report of committee on permanent home for the association; Disposition of report of the committee on fire horses; Canadian reciprocity; Renaming Postoffice square; Street building line. These are attractive subjects and will no doubt be of interest to the members. The directors have decided to follow out in a general way the plan of last year in considering topics of special interest to our town, and at the succeeding meetings plans are being laid to have a short address from some prominent speaker from abroad on some timely topic. For November Wm. L. Eaton, superintendent of schools in Concord, is expected to address the association on “Centralization of Schools,” and in December Hon. James O. Lyford will probably be our guest.

Related:  This Day in Norwood History-May 20, 1899-J. Stearns Cushing Pens Letter In Support of Norwood Brass Band

Mildred L., the nine months old daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Walter Brennan, died on Saturday last. Burial was on Monday last at Highland cemetery.
The New England Telegraph and Telephone Co. has recently obtained twenty new subscribers in Norwood.

John Scannell, one of the oldest men in town, died at his home on Monroe Street last Monday night. He was a stone-mason, and at the time of his death was the last survivor of his family. Funeral services were held from St. Catherine’s church yesterday. Burial was in Canton.

Mr. Frank H. Earl and Mrs. Caroline Carter were married at the Baptist parsonage last Monday evening, by Rev. G. W. Nead. Mr. Earl is engineer at Wins, low’s tannery, and the newly married couple will reside on Walpole Street.

Norwood bowlers now belong to the New Century League and will have the first contest of the season at Ellis’ alleys on next Thursday evening.

Some people think that it is taking a long time to remove the debris from the lot on Market and Washington streets.

Norwood Lodge, No. 38, went to Sharon by special car last evening to attend an A. O. U. W. event.

Owing to the crowded condition of the schools there has been considerable shifting about of scholars in the North and Guild schools. The inconvenience has now been remedied by the fitting up of an extra schoolroom in the Everett building.

A. N. Ambrose returned Monday from a few days at the Pan-American exposition.

Geo. E. Sanborn and wife are expected back today from a trip to the coast of Maine.

F. O. Winslow and F. G. Allen, with their wives, left last Monday for a week at Buffalo and Niagara Falls.

Mrs. C. E. Pond left last week to spend a few weeks with her sister in Maine.

W. T. Whedon and wife returned Monday from their visit to Michigan and the Pan-American.

Harry Kendall and sister, Miss Helen, are on a visit to Buffalo and Chicago.

A fine piece of concrete has been laid on the south side of Railroad Avenue, from the railroad crossing to Monroe Street, and it is a much-needed improvement.

Mrs. H. W. Hill and children returned yesterday from a summer spent in Onset.

Dr. and Mrs. Ralph M. Fogg will return to Norwood for the winter about October 1st, and his dental office will then be open Fridays and Saturdays, all day and evening.

Related:  Norwood Burglars Visit Four Places-This Day in Norwood History-October 20, 1913

The annual meeting of the Ladies’ Benevolent Society of the Congregational church will be held with Mrs. J. C. Lane on Wednesday afternoon, October 2. Business meeting at 3 o’clock. All ladies of the church cordially invited to attend.

Clarence Cheney is quite seriously ill with typhoid fever at his home on Lenox Street.

Clifford B. Sanborn has returned home somewhat improved in health, but it may, be some time before he will be able to resume the active duties of his profession.

Edward W. Jewettl’s resignation from Winslow’s tannery went into effect on Saturday last. His future plans have not yet been determined on.

The Norwood, Canton and Sharon St. Ry. Co. have on sale at Holton’s drugstore a limited number of round-trip tickets for the Brockton Fair, price 35 cents. The railroad will furnish accommodations sufficient to readily care for all its patrons.

Dr. and Mrs. L. II. Plimpton are expected to arrive home next Tuesday from their two months’ trip in Europe.

A private bowling party has been organized here, and bowling promises to be one of the reigning fads about here this season.

Joshua Boyden is suffering less ill effects from his recent all night exposure in Fowl Meadows than was feared, though he has some pretty severe twinges of rheumatism since the occurrence.

Theodore Wuestemann visited some of his old friends in Norwood and vicinity last Friday, and according to their statements he denies most emphatically that he made the remarks attributed to him concerning President McKinley. He says that on the contrary, as the Socialists had no candidate for president that he approved of, and were divided in their councils, and as he did not approve of Bryan, be voted for McKinley himself at the last election. Wuestemann asserts that what be was really called to task for in Ayer was some remarks he made about religion to certain clergymen who were pestering him for funds for church purposes.

Conductor Jason Daniels of the West Roxbury and Roslindale Road has returned from a vacation visit to the Buffalo exposition.

A friend of Rev. Mark B. Taylor, formerly of the Canton Congregational church, writes us from New York as follows: The Rev. Mark B. Taylor of Park Congregational church of Brooklyn, N. Y., and his wife have returned from their vacation at Bourne, Cape Cod. Mrs. Taylor is a daughter of Captain Bourne, who lives at the old homestead, built about 250 years ago. The pastor appeared greatly improved in countenance and physical vigor and preached a sermon of great thought upon “Communion.” He desired to be remembered to bis past parishioners, to his comrades of the G. A. R., of which he has been both state and national chaplain, and to the community.

Invitations have been issued for the wedding, on October 9, of Charles V. Britton and Catherine Eliza Rafuse.

Related:  This Day in Norwood History-January 21, 1948-Farnham's Music Shop Sells, Rents Musical Instruments

Mr. C. B. Dexter and family and Mrs. Milton L. Rock returned from Southport last Sunday morning.

Use Crooker’s Koff-Knots for coughs.

Albert Ware returned to work in Hartshorn’s market this morning.

There were a large number of Norwood people in attendance at the Pilgrim Local Union of the C. E. Society, at Dedham, last evening. The Norwood Congregational society received the banner for largest attendance, and the Norwood Baptist society had the second largest attendance.

The Woman’s Relief Corps is making great preparations for a good time and successful sale at the Harvest Festival to be given in Conger Hall one week from next Wednesday evening.


The ninety-first birthday of Mrs. J. W. Congdon was fittingly observed on the afternoon and evening of Sept. 20tb, at the residence of her son, Mr. C. O. Congdon, 20 Warren Street. Mrs. Congdon was born in Cornwallis, N. S., and was the daughter of Henry and Rebecca Pelton. She married J. W. Congdon in 1842. Three sons were born to them,— Rev. W. H. Congdon, pastor of the M. E. church, Newry, Me., C. O. Congdon of this town, and J. W. Congdon, Jr., who died in 1885. Mrs. Congdon enjoys excellent health and is in full possession of all her faculties. She is a member of the Baptist church.
Many Norwood friends called through the afternoon to wish her many happy returns of the day, and in the evening relatives from out of town, numbering about twenty, visited her. Mrs. Congdon was the recipient of many presents, consisting of money and useful articles. Refreshments were served and a merry time was enjoyed. There was speechmaking by R. W. Congdon, readings by Miss Tarbox and singing by the company.
Among the callers were Rev. and Mrs. Goo. W. Nead, Mrs. Geo. Rafuse, Mrs. L. Dryden, Miss Dryden, Mrs. Wheeler, all of Norwood, Rev. W. H. Congdon, Newry, Me., Mrs. Annie Doty, Providence, R. I., Miss Helen Tarbox, Mr. and Mrs. C. R. Woodman, Mrs. Frank Curtis, Miss Curtis, of Everett, Mr. and Mrs. Geo. Patterson, Mrs. Hall, Miss Hall of Cambridge, Mr. and Mrs. R. Sandborn, of Newton.

(Originally published in the Norwood Advertiser and Review)