These news items were the talk of the town on July 27, 1895

Norwood Central Station

The stations at Norwood and Norwood Central still evoke words of admiration from visitors who come here. With their beautiful architecture, ample waiting rooms, and other facilities, the patrons of the road must feel pleased at the enterprise shown by the company.

Have you seen Central Park?

Quite a number of new books have been added to the Library during the month.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, so be careful what the young folks eat, Holton’s Blackberry Cordial is just the thing for summer complaints.

The thunderstorm that passed over the town last Sunday night was a rattler. The Flashes of lightning were intensely vivid, lighting up the darkness for a couple of seconds, and rain fell in torrents, while old Boreas waltzed around in a regular whirlwind. As far as could be ascertained no damage was done in the immediate vicinity of Norwood.

Two vid charges of dynamite were touched off last Saturday at the High School extension foundation, and the result was the breaking of seventeen panes of glass in the building.

H. B. Baker has sold for Geary A. Brown the house, barn, and land opposite Winslow L. Morse’s, on Washington St. The purchasers were George S and F.O. Winslow.

The soda coupons have made a hit, and the pretty pictures given for thirty of them are worth framing. Perley B. Thompson reports that the scheme works well, while the soda suits the most fastidious taste.

The Ladies’ Tan Oxfords at Currier’s are real bargains. A tan shoe is light, comfortable, and does not catch nor show the dust. Get a pair while the reduced sale is on.

There will be another one of those delightful moonlight excursions to Highland Lake Grove next Wednesday evening The round trip rate from Norwood will be thirty-eight cents.

Deputy Great Sachem F. A. Fales and .suite, of Nahatan Tribe, went up to Franklin Monday evening and raised up the chiefs of Wonewok Tribe.

Miss Edna Lincoln of Dorchester has been elected to fill the vacancy in the fourth grade at the Guild school. She comes well recommended and will give excellent service as a painstaking teacher.

During the hot weather don’t let baby fret and fume. A box of Talcum powder, put up by A. Holton, will end the baby’s suffering, as it cools, soothes, and softens the skin.

One must eat, for Nature abhors a vacuum, and it is well to keep on the right side of Nature. Derry’s Cafe doing a a good work in assisting Nature. Do you dine there? If not, why not?

A service will be held next Wednesday at 3 o’clock in Mt. Hope Cemetery, Boston, to commemorate the death of Mr. and Mrs. Phillips’ little boy, who died some months ago from diphtheria. The friends of the family are invited, to be present.

The poll tax list is in the hands of the printer.

Jas. Donlon, a mason working on the cellar of a house on Winter Street, stole some valuable tools from Andrew Allen on Tuesday, and left town in a hurry. He was traced to Newton, and arrested. Officer Rhoads went after him.

Related:  Friends Fete Mary Flaherty Now In Women's Marine Corps Reserve-This Day in Norwood History-December 13, 1944

Plimpton’s coal dump is completed and all ready to receive the black diamonds.

A number of Norwood’s youth and beauty went to Dedham on Wednesday evening, to attend the band concert there.

If the weather is favorable uh Saturday afternoon, Mrs. Barney will serve ice cream on the lawn adjoining her residence. All the popular flavors and the celebrated lemonade.

Bennie Williams, while playing at seesaw on Wednesday afternoon near his house, fell and dislocated his left arm. He was taken to the Emergency hospital in Boston, and the dislocated member was properly set. Bennie carries his arm in a sling now, and does not care so much for see-saw as he did.

The W. R. C. held a picnic Thursday at Salem Willows. About thirty members and invited guests attended. A most delightful day was spent, the sail to the Willows being a refreshing change from the dust and heat of the street.

Building has commenced on two new houses for Dr.Plimpton at Plimptonville, by F.M.Douglass, contractor and builder.

An error in the types last week made us say that Miss Petay took Miss Guild’s place as teacher in the Everett school. It should have been Miss Gould’s place. Miss Guild will return and resume her position as heretofore.

What’s the matter with the Universalist church clock?

The addition to the High School is progressing finely. The cellar is finished and the carpenters have begun the erection of the frame.

Widening Washington Street.


The Car Shop Baseball Club Championship as Ball Team

The county commissioners were in town Wednesday and took into consideration the matter of damages to the abut-tors on the line of the proposed widening of Washington street. It is proposed to begin the work thereon as soon as all parties concerned are satisfied, and an equitable adjustment made.

The Norwood Press nine, a crack club at the national game, challenged the car shop nine some three weeks ago, to a friendly game of ball. The captain of the car shop nine promptly answered that his club would play them for a purse of §50,—§25 a side,—naming the date and place. The Press nine took two weeks to consider the matter, and replied that they would willingly play a game for the “glory,” but not for a purse, as that savored of professionalism. The car shop nine want a purse, so they consider that this attitude shows that the Press Club nine is afraid to meet them, and they therefore claim the championship of Norwood’s Trade Associations as ball players, and the money is ready whenever any other club wishes to try its prowess.

Norwood Base Ball Club Notes

The South Boston will play the postponed game next Saturday, August 3rd. The Somerses played a good game of ball with the Newton Athletic Club last Saturday. This club has a first-class record, but the Somervilles beat them, 5 to 4. If the breaking of tonic bottles continues, the management has decided to cause the arrest of the offenders, and a night’s lodging in Hotel De Roach will doubtless teach them a lesson. The Hollistons came up to town in a smiling mood last Saturday, but with six paid players they were no match for the Norwoods, who outplayed them at every point. O’Biien and Gilmore played in grand style, forming an invincible battery, while the rest of the boys played their respective positions with a steadiness that gave evidence that they were taking no chances, and remembering the defeat of a year ago, each man did his best to make the victory all the surer. Pitcher Gilmore’s arm failed him in the fifth inning, as he has not pitched a game for three weeks, so the visitors managed to put in a few runs. The play was rather slow all through, the score at end of game being 16 to 9.

Related:  This Day in Norwood History-January 6, 1949-Robert C Briggs Commissioned In Army Corps of Engineers Reserve

Card of Thanks.

I hereby tender my appreciative thanks to the members of the Norwood Fire Department, the other gentlemen, friends, and neighbors, who so kindly helped me in putting out the fire in my store last Saturday evening. But for your promptness and efficient service a large fire might have followed the little blaze that started in the window of my shop.

Mrs. Mary Savage.

Norwood, Mass.,

July 27, 1895.


Mrs. S. D. Dean is at Beachmont. E. H. Randlett and wife and Miss Bessie Ellis left town last Monday for a four weeks’ trip through Maine.

W. T. Whedon is spending a portion of his vacation at Lake Sunapee, N.H.

H. W. Alden has been to Millis, on a week’s summer outing.

Mrs. Julia Pond went to Old Orchard on Wednesday with Miss Thompson and Mrs. Elizabeth Rhoads.

Rev. and Mrs. Nead returned Tuesday from a week’s stay at Plymouth.

Miss S. A. Tryon and Bertha Nead left for Southport, Me., Wednesday afternoon.

Mr. and Mrs. Lawrence Van Buskirk left town early in the week for their annual outing in Southport, Me.

Mr. H. H. Tisdale of Brockton spent Sunday last with his mother and sister.

Mrs. Frank Gifford and daughter are visiting friends in Fall River. They will probably remain.there a month.

Rev. R. J:, Johnson of South Boston, formerly pastor of St. Catherine’s, visited town last Tuesday. He looked well, and his many friends were glad to see him.

Misses Susie and Emily Bray are at Cottage City, enjoying a two weeks’ outing.

Mrs. M. H. Howard and son have gone to Pine Point, to join M. M. Alden’s family at their summer cottage.

Miss Davis of Brooklyn, N. ¥., attending Harvard College, was the guest of Mr. Russell E. Taylor last Sunday.

Miss Mary Draper visited Miss Davis at Cambridge on Wednesday last, and had a delightful day.

Related:  This Day In Norwood History-March 15, 2013-Ray Martin; Norwood star pitched to Ruth, played for Boston Braves

Miss Costello and Miss Margaret Walsh have gone to Portland, Me., on a two weeks’ vacation.

Mr. Norman Thayer left for Falmouth Thursday morning for a short outing.

Mrs. Leach and son, of Brockton, were the guests of Mr. Orrin T. Leach, on Cottage Street, over Sunday.

Mrs. W. A. Williamson and son Chester, of Johnstown, N. Y,, who have been visiting relatives in town, returned home Thursday morning.

Mr. Luman Marston and sister, who have been taking a vacation, in New Hampshire, returned home Thursday evening.

Miss Hattie Davenport returned from Falmouth Monday.

Mrs. E. K. Angier left for Old Orchard Wednesday .accompanied by Mr.and Mrs. Ferry of New York City.

Sir. Milton Rock returned Sunday for a two weeks’ vacation in New York state.

C. A. Ingalls of Now York spent Wednesday and Thursday with Miss Edith Angier at Mr. Otis King’s. Mr. Ingalls is a member of the Staten Island Yacht Club, and is sailing along the New England coast aboard his yacht.

Mrs. D. S. Fogg is staying in Lexington with her sister, who is seriously ill.

Mrs. Chas. W. Rich has returned from Cohasset, where she has been visiting relatives.

The engagement of Miss Bertha Whitney and Mr. Milton Rock has been announced.

Winslow Faunce attended the golden wedding anniversary of his parents, Mr. and Mrs. George Faunce, at Kingston, Mass., last -week. The happy couple are well advanced in life, being seventy-nine and seventy-two years of age respectively. They are enjoying good health, and received the congratulations and good wishes of eight out of nine children born to them.

Mrs. Stephen Curran of Lyden street has been very ill during the week, and was removed to the hospital, where she will undergo an operation.

Fr. Kelley went to Providence this week to visit Bishop Hennessey of Wichita, Kansas. Both reverend gentlemen were the guests of Bishop Harkins. Ir. is probable that Bishop Hennessey will come to Norwood to spend a few days before returning home.

Mrs. McGinn of Pawtucket, R. I., is visiting Miss Mary Keith.

Mrs. B. R. Carbee of Littleton, N. H., has been visiting her daughter, Mrs. J. H. M. Haskins of this town.

L. A. Currier spent Friday in the city of Baked Beans.

M. M. Alden left Friday afternoon for Pine Point, to spend Sunday with his family.

(Originally published in the Norwood Advertiser and Review)

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.