fbpx

This Day In Norwood History-December 21

This 1913 engineering plan shows the lots purchased from George H Willett which became the site of the Norwood Town Common and the Town Hall.

BUILDING TO COST $57,000.

Norwood Votes to Have a 12-Room Building—Two Lots Purchased for a Public Park.

Sat, Dec 21, 1912 – 14 · The Boston Globe (Boston, Massachusetts) · Newspapers.com

NORWOOD. Dec 21—At a special town meeting last evening in Village Hall it was voted to build a 12-room schoolhouse in the Balch district, at a cost net to exceed $57,000. The sum of $150 was transferred from the unexpended balance of the appropriation for evening schools and devoted to expenses of general government, election and registration. There was appropriated for repairs and maintenance of highways, in addition to amounts already set apart for that purpose.

It was decided to purchase two lots for $35,000, one on Norwood sq and the other on Washington, Market and Nahatan st. to be used for public park and town office purposes, to set apart $1600 to remodel the Savage house on the property, for town offices. Six portable cells, including the two now in the lockup, will be placed in the basement of the Central Fire Station, with partitions and doors, and $1500 was voted.

St James av and St George av were accepted. For extending the water mains on Grant av $207.05 was given, and $1006.51 to extend the water mains on St George and St James avs. There was transferred $50 from the unexpended balance of the appropriation for evening schools to the maintenance of the department of sealer of weights and measures.

error: Content is protected !!
%d bloggers like this:
search previous next tag category expand menu location phone mail time cart zoom edit close