President Nicholas Storme and Chaplain Rev Thomas J. MacCormack Speak in Norwood.
NORWOOD, May 30—Division 1, Ancient Order of Hibernians, unveiled a monument on their lot in Highland Cemetery this afternoon in the presence of about 1000 persons.
About 220 members of the division marched from Columbia Hall, headed by Pres Nicholas Storme and Rev Thomas J. MacCormack, chaplain of the division, to the cemetery.
Here remarks were made by Town Clerk James E. Pendergast, chairman of the committee, and by Fr McCormack.
President Pendergast then unveiled the monument. It is of Quincy granite, on the back and front of which are carved with Celtic cross, entwined with shamrocks, which enclose the grasp of friendship. The motto, “Friendship, Unity and Christian Charity.” is carved in the stone, with “A. O. H.” below. A harp of Erin is carved on each side of the monument.
The committee comprised James E. Pendergast, John P. Callahan, and Eugene M. Murphy.
Division 1, A. O. H. was chartered June 26, 1880, the first society to be organized here after Norwood became a separate town.
(All articles were originally published in the Norwood Messenger unless otherwise noted)