TELLS OF TALK WITH ORSMANS

DEDHAM, May 12, 1933 — The Commonwealth’s case against Ahmed Osman and Ali Osman, charged with the murder of 9‑year‑old Nellie Keras of Norwood, moved into its final stages today as Chief William H. Sullivan of the Norwood Police Department delivered critical testimony before a packed courtroom.

The trial, already one of the most closely followed in Norfolk County history, entered a decisive phase as the prosecution presented statements allegedly made by both defendants in the days following the child’s disappearance and the discovery of her body in a woodpile beneath the three‑decker where the Keras family lived.

Chief Sullivan Recounts Ahmed’s Statements

Chief Sullivan testified that he interviewed Ahmed on December 28, the day after the child’s body was found.

According to the chief, Ahmed stated that he had left his apartment briefly to buy cigarettes. Upon returning, he claimed he found:

  • the girl’s body on the floor
  • Ali asleep in an adjoining room

Ahmed told the chief that Ali was “shaking” when awakened.

Sullivan testified that Ahmed said:

  • Ali tied up the girl’s body
  • Ahmed held the bag while Ali placed the body inside
  • Ahmed gave Ali the key to his portion of the cellar
  • The two men carried the bag downstairs and hid it in the woodpile

When asked what they intended to do next, Ahmed allegedly replied that they planned to remove the bag “some night” and leave it in a field.

Ahmed also said he did not know where the girl’s clothing or shoes were.

Ali’s Response: “Now he is trying to have me killed.”

Chief Sullivan then described his conversation with Ali, who denied Ahmed’s account entirely.

Ali reportedly told the chief:

“I came down to have a good time on Christmas Day, and now he (Ahmed) is trying to have me killed.”

Sullivan said he returned to question Ahmed again, who added that after the events in his apartment, he went to Ali’s home at 22 Dean Street, where Ali was still “shaking badly.”

Defense attorney Winfield Patterson, representing Ahmed, declined to cross‑examine the chief. Attorney John M. Boyle, representing Ali, questioned Sullivan at length, focusing on the chief’s conversations with Ali.

Officer McNulty Testifies to Ahmed’s Statements in the Lockup

Patrolman Thomas H. McNulty, who supervised the prisoners on the night of December 28 and the morning of December 29, testified next.

McNulty stated that Ahmed told him:

“I am sorry for what I have done. If I am guilty, I will suffer.”

Ahmed also said that it was Ali who took the girl to the cellar.

When McNulty asked Ahmed why he had done “this thing,” Ahmed replied:

“I don’t know.”

When asked about the clothing, Ahmed again said:

“I do not know.”

Medical Examiner Magrath Concludes the Commonwealth’s Case

At 1 p.m., the prosecution formally rested.

Suffolk Medical Examiner Dr. Magrath testified that he performed the autopsy on December 27. He concluded:

  • Death was caused by pressure to the neck, likely by a human hand
  • Blood loss was not the cause of death
  • The child died before being placed in the burlap bag
  • An internal bruise was found on the back of the head

Dr. Magrath also testified that the child had been brutally assaulted, though the court avoided extended detail.

Defense to Begin Next Week

At the afternoon session, attorney Winfield S. Patterson opened the defense for Ahmed Osman, expected to continue into Tuesday or Wednesday of the following week.

After Patterson concludes, attorney John M. Boyle will begin the defense of Ali Osman.

Reports indicate that many defense witnesses have been summoned, suggesting that the trial will continue to draw significant public attention.

The Boston Globe 12 May 1933

Prosecutor Claims Peter Plotted Murder-This Day in Norwood History-March 9, 1955

Prosecutor Claims Peter Plotted Murder-This Day in Norwood History-March 9, 1955

 Peter Makarewicz, 15, of Norwood, deliberately plotted the murder of Geraldine Annese, the prosecution charged in its opening to a Superior Court jury here this…

Judge Orders Most Evidence Be Shown to Defense in Geraldine Annese Murder Case-This Day in Norwood History-February 24, 1955

Judge Orders Most Evidence Be Shown to Defense in Geraldine Annese Murder Case-This Day in Norwood History-February 24, 1955

Goldstein To See State Exhibits Of Entire Case In an unprecedented ruling, Superior Court Judge Frank J. Donahue has ordered Norfolk County to turn over…

Telephone Con Artist Expands Scam Targeting Senior Citizens-July 17, 1992

Telephone Con Artist Expands Scam Targeting Senior Citizens-July 17, 1992

The scam, which involves aggressive demands for money and specific family details, has been reported across multiple Massachusetts communities.

Why the Belcher Family Is in Town Lockup-This Day in Norwood History-May 19, 1905

Why the Belcher Family Is in Town Lockup-This Day in Norwood History-May 19, 1905

This Day in Norwood History-May 17, 1905- After a competing Boston newspaper criticized the Town and townspeople of Norwood for the unfortunate situation, the Boston…

Few Details Emerge In Case Against Peter Makarewicz On Eve Of Trial For Murder of Geraldine Annese-This Day in Norwood History-March 6, 1955

Few Details Emerge In Case Against Peter Makarewicz On Eve Of Trial For Murder of Geraldine Annese-This Day in Norwood History-March 6, 1955

DEDHAM. March 6- Tall, slim, delicately handsome Peter Makarewicz, 15, of Norwood, goes on trial in Norfolk Superior Court Monday for the murder of pretty,…

Defense Counsel In Plea For Not Guilty Verdict As Murder Trial Ends-This Day in Norwood History-March 17, 1955

Defense Counsel In Plea For Not Guilty Verdict As Murder Trial Ends-This Day in Norwood History-March 17, 1955

An hour and three quarters’ fervent plea for the return of a not guilty verdict for his youthful client, Peter Makarewicz, echoed through the courtroom…


Discover more from Norwood Historical Society

Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.