This Day In Norwood History-March 6

50 YEARS FIREMEN’ GIVEN GOLD BADGES

Honor to Chief Boyden and Michael Dyer, Norwood

Norwood’s America No 2 Hook and Ladder Fire Company in the 1890’s.

Tue, Mar 6, 1923 –The Boston Globe (Boston, Massachusetts)

NORWOOD, March 6 — At the meeting held in the rooms of the Central Fire Station last night General Manager Hammersley, speaking for Selectman Frank G. Allen, who was unable to be present, presented Chief J. Fred Boyden of the Norwood Fire Department and Michael Dyer, a member of the department, gold fire badges, commemorating the completion of 50 years’ service in the Fire Department of the town of Norwood.

Mr Dyer was not present to receive his badge, as he is in the Norwood Hospital. suffering from the effects of a aralytic shock, but the engineers will visit the hospital and present this badge today.

The badges were both engraved on one side with “1872 to 1922,” and the names of the recipients, and on the other side the town seal and the regular insignia of the department.

At the time he joined, Chief Boyden became a member of No. 2 Hunneman hand tub company. At this period the town had two hand tubs as its entire fire-fighting equipment and a force of 80 men, all “call men.” John Morse was chief of Norwood’s Fire Department at this time, and there were three engineers on the board.

Chief Boyden has held his present rank since 1884 and was assistant engineer for about four years previous to his election as chief. At the time these two veterans joined the department the pay was $12 per year for the men and 50 cents per hour while on duty.

error: Content is protected !!
%d bloggers like this:
search previous next tag category expand menu location phone mail time cart zoom edit close