Left to right: Dr. Arthur Burns, Eugene Fernandes, Mrs. Barbara Biggs, Mrs. Jane Booth, Mrs. Edna Callis, and Miss Mary Avizinis with new General Electric Imperial Flouroscoplc and Diagnostic X-Ray unit at the Norwood Hospital.

Complete modernization of the X-Ray Department of the Norwood Hospital moved a step nearer realization recently with the placing in operation of a new General Electric Imperial Fluoroscopic and Diagnostic X-Ray unit which embodies all the newest advances in high-speed x-ray with electronic selection and control of all factors.

The most thorough x-ray examination possible is now available to all patients with the installation of this Imperial unit. Complete versatility in positioning and manipulation of the patient is obtained under automatic control with new engineering principles and design, thus assuring the best possible care of the patient.

One of Ten In New England

The Norwood Hospital is one of only ten hospitals in New England having this new Imperial unit. When the order was placed by the Norwood Hospital in 1953, only five of these radically new diagnostic x-ray units were in use. However, it was not until January of this year that space in the hospital could be made available to house this new piece of equipment With the machine it replaces in a new location across the hall, the x-ray department n o w comprises six rooms on the lower floor of the hospital.

Quicker end More Efficient Service

This new x-ray equipment Is based on entirely different principles of engineering design that permit the table to angulate through 180 degrees. This is of special interest to both the hospital administrator and hospital fund contributors be- cause of savings in room space as compared to a more conventional type unit offering the same facilities.

The use of high-speed electronic components, which permit faster and more uniform snapshot-type radiographs of internal organs as they are views fluoroscopically, is another important feature of the new apparatus. The wider and longer x-ray table has a unique feature which permits over a foot oí lateral movement; this contributes to faster and more convenient positioning during the x-ray examination.

SPEAKERS AND OFFICERS of the Norwood Hospital Womens Aid at the two-day refresher course given at Day House to members of the Aid last week. Left to right: Charles A. Richardson, hospital administrator; Mrs. Vern H. Richards, advisory chairman; Mrs. Edwin W. Heffernan, chairman of Volunteer Hostess Corps; Miss Lillian B. Strout, superintendent of nurses at the hospital; Mrs. Allan A. Jefferson, hostess Instructor, and Mrs. Parker N. Chick, president of the Women’s Aid. (McLean Photo)

Growth of the X-Ray Department

When the hospital, now known as the Norwood Hospital, was acquired in 1910, it consisted of three wooden buildings in one of which was a Kelley Koetl x-ray machine. A small adjacent room was used for the developing of films. A single technician was employed to carry on the entire work of the department.

In 1926, when the brick hospital was built, an x-ray room plus a developing room was planned and the machine then in use was transferred to its new quarters. Here it remained in operation until 1939 when Mr. John George Simmons, of Canton, who was a patient In the hospital, donated a new General Electric x-ray unit in memory of his late wife; this was to replace the old machine which had seen over 15 years of service.

The services of the X-Ray department grew by leaps and bounds, and when the new addition to the hospital was constructed In 1940, a complete x-ray suite was added and completely equipped by the same Mr, Simmons, of Canton. His generosity provided the Norwood Hospital with two General Electric x-ray machines, one of which was, at that time, the very latest product of that company.

In 1954 the total number of patients treated in the X-Ray Department of the Norwood Hospital was 10,252, as compared with 514 treated in the year 1927.

It is the aim of the Norwood Hospital to keep pace with improvements in every field, in relation to equipment, to assure the finest care possible for the sick and injured.

New Emergency Ward Added To Hospital-This Day In Norwood History-September 25, 1942


Trustees Vote To Use Third Floor of Addition Voting to make a 23-bed emergency ward of the third floor of the new Norwood Hospital wing,…

Renovated Children’s Wing-This Day In Norwood History-September 24, 1965


Mrs. Donald Fountain of Norwood, a volunteer hostess, responds to a young patient’s enthusiasm in the “Owl and the Pussycat” mural outside the Children’s Wing…

Norwood Man Near Death After Ax Attack, Friend Held-This Day in Norwood History- September 20, 1934


Billotta Nabbed in Attack With Ax on Friend Attacked with an ax as he lay in bed late tonight, Paul Fulciniti, 40, of 351 Pleasant…

Work Begins on First Addition to Norwood Hospital-This Day in Norwood History- September 16, 1925


WORK STARTS TODAY ON ADDITION TO HOSPITAL NORWOOD, Sept 16—The first sod for the site of the new $200,000 addition to the Norwood Hospital was…

Norwood Hospital Demolition- Draper Building Then and Now- September 14, 2022


https://youtu.be/yfYfEGJaf-E Below you will find links to all our posts about the ongoing demolition at Norwood Hospital. Do you have photos or videos of the…

Hostage Taken in Robbery, Officer Shot, 2 Arrested-This Day in Norwood History- September 7, 1974


Norwood police car, its windshield shattered, sits outside town’s police station. Red-dyed money taken is at lower left. At right, suspects are led to court.…