fbpx

Wonderful Women of Norwood-Mary Tucker Fogg

This month’s was compiled by Historical Society Karen DeNapoli, Laurie Kearney and Linda Rau

NORWOOD, MA — Mary Bagnall Tucker was born in New London, CT, on January 8, 1824, to Reverend Thomas W. Tucker and Mary Orne Tucker. She was the youngest of three children. Her father was a Methodist itinerant circuit rider for the . The ministers were paid very and with constant traveling, they faced difficult financial and family challenges. Mrs. Tucker added to the family coffers by sketching and painting watercolors of the local children to entice them to attend her Sunday religious .

The Tuckers valued education and sent their children to the academy in each town they were assigned to. Mrs. Tucker and her elder daughter, Hannah, established a young ladies’ school in the house. There were forty pupils, and the added income provided the family with many comforts.

The two older children left home in 1836, and Mary continued to live with her parents. At sixteen years of age, Mary began painting her distinctive large watercolors and pastels. Her earliest signed portrait is dated 1840. Before was introduced in America in 1839, a portrait by a folk painter was the only way to preserve an image of themselves or their loved ones. (Photography only became widespread some decades later.) It has only recently been verified that the portraits signed Mary B. Tucker were painted by Mary.

Mary was one of the few artists in the 1840s to use watercolors to produce large-format likeness. She embraced the colorful medium, allowing a new level of freedom and fluidity to produce portraits on sheets of paper that were 26×21 inches. She developed two distinctive portrait styles: profiles and more painterly full-faced depictions. The profiles were her earliest styles. Starting in 1844 and later, her portraits are full face.

On November 24, 1847, Mary married Dr. David Sylvester Fogg, a graduate of Dartmouth School with a practice in (present Norwood). Dr. & Mrs. Fogg lived in South for the rest of their lives. They raised eight children, six of whom survived to adulthood. As a doctor’s wife and mother of eight children, Mary had little time to pursue her portrait painting. The landscapes she painted after her marriage were a hobby, not a full-time profession or money-making vocation. In fact, most were donated after her . Her portraits are displayed in the Folk Art Museum (NY), and in Jeffrey Tillow Antiques (Litchfield, CT); several are owned privately. There are no known portraits dated after 1847, but there are several landscapes in oil on canvas. Some of her landscape paintings of early Norwood are on display at the at 93 Day Street.

Morse Mill on - Painted by Mrs. Mary B. (Tucker) Fogg, Scene depicts the Morse Mill on Norwood East Walpole line ca. 1850. The original mill on this site was erected in 1786. By 1850 Francis Morse was operating the mill. The mill pond was a favorite recreational site in the 19th century.

died in Norwood in 1898, at 74 years of age. She is interred at with her husband David.

Related Posts

error: Content is protected !!
%d bloggers like this:
search previous next tag category expand menu location phone mail time cart zoom edit close