Wonderful Women of Norwood-Anna R. Ellis

The Norwood Historical Society would like to present Anna R. Ellis as a Wonderful Woman of Norwood.

Anna Rachel Ellis was born in Norwood to John and Harriet Ellis on July 5, 1877. She attended Norwood schools and when she graduated in 1895, she was asked by then Postmaster William Wallace to fill a part-time summer clerk position at the Norwood Post office located in the Wheelock Block, in the business center of Norwood.  Anna agreed, and even though she had taken courses that would have allowed her further studies, she stayed with the post office in Norwood for the next forty-nine years.

The post office in Norwood was established in 1846 when Norwood was still South Dedham, by Captain Moses Guild and was in Jabez Boyden’s general store. It consisted of a three-foot high cylindrical alphabetized letter rack where you just turned to find your mail under the appropriate letter. This postal rack can still be viewed at the Norwood Historical Society headquarters, The Fred Holland Day House, 93 Day St.  

When Norwood was incorporated in 1872, Willard Gay became Norwood’s first postmaster.

Anna served as a clerk in all positions of the post office under five postmasters. She was hired by Willard Wallace who served from 1886 to 1903. Frank Fales was postmaster from 1903 until 1916 and it was under Mr. Fales that Norwood became the first post office in Massachusetts to offer the United States Postal Savings System. Anna became the first postal savings clerk.

The United States Postal Savings System was formed after intense lobbying by farmers, workers, and immigrants that had distrust for the banks at that time. It offered a savings plan that at the time was more secure than banks and returned a 2% interest to those who used it. It also provided protection for these savings during the Great Depression as it was insured and backed by the government and not banks. Anna administered this operation until 1919, when, under postmaster Joseph McManus, she was appointed as assistant postmaster.

Anna served as Assistant Postmaster under Joseph McManus (1916-1924), under Postmaster Albion Parker (1924-1933), and then under Thomas Mullvehill (1933-1936).  Along with her duties of assistant postmaster, she oversaw the postal carriers and the postal savings system.

In 1931, during Thomas Mullvehill’s tenure as postmaster, Congressman Richard Wigglesworth notified Norwood that a recommendation had been made to the House Appropriations Committee that a new post office be built in Norwood. An amount of $130,000.00 was appropriated for this endeavor. This set off a contentious town discussion on the location for the new building. It was finally decided in October of 1931 that the site of the old Everett School, where Anna Ellis attended school, was the best place for the new building.  Guild Street was opened and extended, and architect William Upham designed the neo-federal building that stands today.

During the building postmaster Thomas Mullvehill was taken ill and Anna Ellis was appointed acting postmaster in 1933 and was charged with the transfer, administration, and opening of the new building. She served in this position until late in 1934. When Mr. Mullvehill died in December of 1936, she was again appointed acting postmaster until being appointed postmaster in August of 1937.

As Postmaster, Anna R Ellis oversaw the first airmail flight in Norwood history on May 19, 1938.

Anna Ellis served as Postmaster/Postmistress until she retired in 1944, during which time she was responsible for the expansion of the carriers in town to eleven, the addition of postal machines, and the institution of parcel post for packages.  Anna R Ellis died the following year in December 1945 at the age of 68. She left a sister Rachel Ellis, and an incredible forty-nine years of service to the town of Norwood.

Researched and Written By:  Norwood Historical Society Board Members Laurie Kearney, Linda Rau, & Karen DeNapoli


Norwood Historical Society Archives

United States Postal Savings System history

Norwood a History by Patricia Fanning

Agnes Curtin Wonerful Women of Norwood Historical Society

Wonderful Women of Norwood-Agnes Abigail Curtin

Agnes Abigail Curtin The Norwood Historical Society is honored to present Agnes Abigail Curtin as our Wonderful Woman for November. During the 1800s and early 1900s, Norwood was fortunate in that its industries and the railroad, along with its middle…

Wonderful Women of Norwood-Irma Ursula (Thompson) Diggs

Wonderful Women of Norwood-Irma Ursula (Thompson) Diggs

The Norwood Historical Society would like to introduce you to Irma Ursula (Thompson) Diggs, who came to Norwood shortly after she married Henry William Diggs in 1937, and made Norwood her home until she died in 1990. Irma Ursula Thompson…

Mary Tucker Fogg

Wonderful Women of Norwood-Mary Tucker Fogg

This month’s Wonderful Women of Norwood was compiled by Norwood Historical Society members Karen DeNapoli, Laurie Kearney and Linda Rau NORWOOD, MA — Mary Bagnall Tucker was born in New London, CT, on January 8, 1824, to Reverend Thomas W.…

Maude Alice Shattuck

Wonderful Women of Norwood-Maude Alice Shattuck

We are proud to present Maude Alice Shattuck as this month’s Wonderful Woman of Norwood. Maude was born September 1, 1880, in Norwood to Edmund J. Shattuck and Emma L. (Morrill) Shattuck. She was one of five siblings—Lois, Louise, Edmund,…

Wonderful Women of Norwood: Dr. Harriet Emeline Rogers

Wonderful Women of Norwood: Dr. Harriet Emeline Rogers

Dr Harriet Emeline Rogers, 1892-1981 Dr. Harriet E. Rogers arrived in Norwood in 1923 to practice medicine. In 1922 the number of practicing female doctors in the greater Boston area were merely 10% of all practicing doctors; this statistic alone would make…

error: Content is protected !!
%d bloggers like this:
search previous next tag category expand menu location phone mail time cart zoom edit close