
Planning for the upcoming autumn country fair, sponsored by the Trinity Alliance of the Missionary Servants of the Most Blessed Trinity, was scheduled to continue with a meeting on July 24 at 8 p.m.
⠀
The event was slated to take place on September 15 at the Cenacle, located at 289 Walpole Street. Organizers encouraged those interested in displaying items at the “tea market,” also sponsored by the organization, to contact the Cenacle.
The Trinity Alliance of Norwood was a local lay organization of Catholic faithful dedicated to supporting the Missionary Servants of the Most Blessed Trinity (MSBT), a congregation of Catholic missionary sisters.
In Norwood, the history of this alliance is deeply intertwined with a prominent local landmark and a specific era in the mid-20th century.
The Norwood Headquarters: “The Cenacle”
In 1954, the MSBT sisters purchased Oak View (also known as the Oakview Mansion), a grand Second Empire-style historic estate located at 289 Walpole Street in Norwood. The mansion had previously belonged to the wealthy Winslow tanning family and later served as the home of Massachusetts Governor Frank G. Allen.
The sisters transformed the property into a convent, postulate (a house for those preparing to enter religious life), and retreat center, which locals affectionately referred to as “The Cenacle.”
The Role of the Trinity Alliance
The Trinity Alliance of Norwood acted as the lay fundraising and community support arm for the sisters during their time at the Walpole Street property. One of the core charisms (spiritual focus areas) of the Missionary Servants is to develop a missionary spirit in ordinary laypeople—encouraging them to act as “apostles” in their everyday environments.
The Trinity Alliance was a direct manifestation of this goal. Local men and women gathered to support the sisters’ local ministries, which included:
- Teaching religious education (CCD) classes at local Norwood parishes.
- Conducting parish censuses and community outreach to families.
- Hosting spiritual retreats for the local community.
A Lasting Piece of History: The Outdoor Stations of the Cross
The most notable recorded contribution of the Trinity Alliance of Norwood occurred in July 1957. The members of the Alliance raised the funds to donate and erect a beautiful set of 14 outdoor Stations of the Cross on the northwest lawn of the Walpole Street property.
The stations were physically attached to fourteen of the stately oak trees surrounding the mansion. On July 11, 1957, Bishop Jeremiah F. Minihan officially blessed and erected the stations, opening the grounds for local neighborhood residents to visit and pray on the lawns.
What Happened to the Mission?
The MSBT sisters operated out of the Walpole Street mansion until the early 1970s, when shifting demographics and changing needs caused them to consolidate their missions. In 1978, the historic mansion was sold back into private hands.
Though the physical “Cenacle” on Walpole Street closed decades ago, the sisters of the Missionary Servants of the Most Blessed Trinity continue their global work from their Motherhouse in Philadelphia, remaining focused on serving the poor and marginalized.
Archival Note: This article has been dynamically reconstructed from the original public record print archives of the Patriot Ledger
-
Sunday Services in Norwood Churches-October 3, 1957
Sunday Services in Norwood Churches-This Day In Norwood History-October 3, 1957

-
Norwood Catholic Women Close Silver Jubilee With Archbishop Cushing-This Day in Norwood History-May 16, 1957
The silver jubilee of the Norwood Catholic Woman’s Club unfolded on a warm May evening in 1957, filling St. Catherine’s School Auditorium with the glow of candles, polished silver, and the unmistakable hum of a community celebrating its own endurance. For twenty‑five years, the club had been a quiet but powerful civic force—organizing charity drives,…

-
Knox Smith Property Acquired by St. Catherine’s-This Day in Norwood History-April 18, 1957
Knox Smith Property Acquired by St. Catherine’s-This Day in Norwood History-April 18, 1957

-
Convent Dedicated Sunday At St. George’s Parish-September 29, 1955
Convent Dedicated Sunday At St. George’s Parish-This Day In Norwood History-September 29, 1955

-
Emmanuel Lutheran Church Breaks Ground For Addition-This Day in Norwood History-May 12, 1955
ARCHITECT’S SKETCH by the office of Harry J. Korslund, Norwood, shows present main church and spire of the Emmanuel Lutheran Church (right) and the new addition (left) for which ground was broken on Sunday. Last Sunday morning marked an important milestone for the Emmanuel Lutheran Church of Norwood, as the congregation gathered for the ceremonial…

-
Steeple of St. Catherine’s Toppled By Hurricane Edna-This Day in Norwood History- September 11, 1954
Steeple of St. Catherine’s Toppled By Hurricane Edna This Day in Norwood History- September 11, 1954

-
Baptist Property On Washington Street Sold-March 17, 1950
91-Year-Old Structure To Be Razed;Premises Must Be Vacated By July 1st The ninety-one-year-old First Baptist Church on Washington Street has been sold and the work of razing the ancient structure for the erection of a modern business block is expected to start in mid-July. The sale of the church property was announced at a business…

Discover more from Norwood Historical Society
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.










