fbpx

Time line of early George Bird’s businesses:

DateActionNotesSource
Abt 1793Says Geo Bird purchased water privilege in Charles River Village, Needham, MASource may be incorrect according to land deedsJohn Bidwell, American Paper Mills: 1690-1832. Hanover, NH: Dartmouth College Press, 2013  
1795The gristmill lasted into the 1770s or later, but in 1795 the mill became a paper mill belonging to George Bird.  Appears to have bought an old gristmill. Had it retooled to make paper (Gloria Gries)Gries, Gloria. “Needham History: The Village Falls Park” The Needham Times, WickedLocal.com. 14 Sept 2020
25 May 1796Advertisement to Sell one-undivided quarter part of a mill owned by Ellis, Bird & others. Plus water privileges Massachusetts Mercury. 24 May 1796. Boston. Vol. VII, issue 42, pg 3.
5 Nov 1796Jonathan Ellis & Josiah Newell sold one undivided half interest in 2 acres of land in Needham to George Fisher & George Bird Norfolk County Deed bk 6/pg 367
Soon after his marriage. (18 Sept 1798)Moved to Milton to be the superintendent of the mill built by Daniel Henchman Francis William Bird: a Biographical Sketch
4 Jul 1799Deed: bought the right to alter the creek in Dover by creating a mill, with Jonathan Ellis, Josiah Newell and George Fisher From Lemuel RichardsRecords/stories say this occurred in 1795Norfolk County Deed bk 12/ pg 35. Actually deed was registered 4 Jul 1799      
28 Mar 1799Deed: Sold his ¼ interest in paper mill to Jonathan EllisEllis bought the other shares from Newell in 1805 and Fisher in 1806Norfolk County Deed bk 11/ pg 29.
8 Mar 1800Jonathan Ellis, Josiah Newell & George Fisher mortgaged the milldam, water privileges, slitting mill, nail mill, paper mill, barn, houses and trip hammer shop to James Otis of Boston. pd off 1801George Bird not listed at an owner selling this land, because he sold his share a year beforeNorfolk County Deed bk 11/ pg 401
15 Aug 1800Announcement that the Co-partnership of Fuller & Bird was dissolved Advertisement in the Columbian Centinel, Boston, Vol XXXIV, issue 9, pg 4. 1 Oct 1800
1799 to 1803 Operated a paper mill in Milton with Amasa FullerHistory of Milton
21 Apr 1803Purchased a mill & water privileges in Dedham with Jonathan Newell from the estate of Richard Jordan and Calvin Whiting/ Rueben Newell.The Poor & Mann mill.   Got a contract with US government to make bake note paperAmerican Paper Mills; 1690- 1832   History of Milton   Norfolk County Deed bk 19/ pg 433-435.
1803 to 1804/5 Ran the McLean Mill in MiltonHistory of Milton
24 Jul 1804Advertisement to Let Paper mill at the upper bridge in Milton…see Geo Bird. Ad placed by John Lemist.Not clear if he is the owner or the agent. Ad ran thru Aug 1804 is several Boston papersNew England Palladium. Boston, Vol 27, issue 4, pg 7. 24 Jul 1804
Around 1807Moved to Dedham Francis William Bird: a Biographical Sketch
16 Aug 1809Dedham Mill owned by Bird burned. Value $3500The story ran in several Massachusetts papers“Fire!!” Norfolk Repository, Dedham. Vol I, issue 33, page 3. 17 Aug 1809
17 Feb 1812Bought 3 acres of land with water privileges in Walpole/South DedhamDeed does not describe buildings “there on.” Just seems to be landNorfolk County Deed bk 41/ pg 138.
1817Built paper mill in Walpole  
27 Feb 1818Advertisement to let a paper mill in Dedham for a year from Apr 1818 to April 1819. Included house and all supplies to run mill/make paper.Ad ran from Feb. to April in several local papers“Paper Mill to Let” Dedham Gazette, Vol 5, issue 29 27 Feb 1818
May 1819Advertised for 2 journeyman paper makers and 2 apprentices for Dedham facility Dedham Gazette. Ad ran from May thru June
1823Owned the Norfolk Manufacturing Co., with Frederick Taft in Dedham Mother Brook: Facts for Kids
16 Apr 1824           AND   10 Jun 1824An Act of Incorporation of the Norfolk Manufacturing Co. to Geo Bird, Fred Taft & John Lemist. The company had been “Frederick A Taft & Co.   Ad to dissolve old company and establish new one “Norfolk Manufact’ng Co.” The Village Register, Dedham. Vol. V, issue 26, page 3. 16 Apr 1824. AND “Dissolution.” The Village Register, Dedham, Vol V, issue 33, page 3, June 10, 1824
1824After a year of co-partnership, he sold the Dedham buildings & water rights & some of the land to Taft and LemishIt appears he is all in with the paper Mill in South Dedham/East Walpole.Guild, Calvin. “ The Stone Mill, and the water privilege bought by Thomas Barrows in 1862.” The Dedham Historical Register, Vol. IV, No. 2, April 1893. From a paper read to the society in 1865.

Go to George Bird Exhibit main page –>

No tags for this post.
error: Content is protected !!
%d bloggers like this:
search previous next tag category expand menu location phone mail time cart zoom edit close