Lieut Gov Allen Among Speakers of Occasion
NORWOOD. Nov 13—Thousands of Norwood residents witnessed the laying of the cornerstone for Norwood’s $350,000 Memorial Municipal Building this afternoon.
For more than 25 years successive committees have been working on plans for a municipal building, and during these years the municipal affairs have been carried on in a Town Hall, marked “temporary.”
Under the chairmanship of Francis J. Foley, the present committee, consisting of Mrs. Nellie P. Morrow, Francis E. Bernier, Gladwin W. Nead, and Judge Clifford B. Sanborn, brought the matter before the town, the money was appropriated and William G. Up- ham, local architect, was engaged to draw up the plans for the present building.
Judge James A. Halloran, town counsel, and moderator presided as master of ceremonies today. Rev James F. Doherty, the pastor of St Catherine’s Church, offered the opening prayer.
.Francia J. Foley, chairman of the building committee, thanked those who f had assisted his committee. During the program, the High School Chorus, under the direction of Prof Jean Dethier, sang several selections.
Thomas B. Mulvehill, chairman of the Board of Selectmen, congratulated the building committee. Rev George W. Nead, the 83-year-old commander of the Bird Post, G. A. R., pointed out the value of the new building as a war memorial.
Frank G. Allen, acting Governor of Massachusetts and a Norwood citizen, in an address, said the erection of the new building was the culmination of a movement “to effectuate a fitting memorial to our citizen soldiery of all wars by the erection of a Municipal Memorial Building dedicated to the pursuits of peace.”
Mrs. Nellie P. Morrow, past president of the American Legion Auxiliary, deposited the zinc box containing valuable records in the cornerstone. Francis J. Foley then placed the mortar about the stone. Rev John D. Brush, Chaplin of the local Legion Post, invoked tho benediction.
This Day in Norwood History-May 30, 1950-Ponder Question Of Land For School Purposes
The School Committee and the Planning Board following two conferences on the matter of location of possible school sites, visited the are in the vicinity of the corner of Dean…
This Day In Norwood History-May 30, 1922-Ora Holman, 91, Helped Hunt Down John Wilkes Booth
May 30, 1922-Ora Holman, 183 Walpole st, is the oldest Civil War veteran, having passed his 91st birthday. He enlisted in the 2d New Hampshire Cavalry, and is a member…
This Day in Norwood History-May 30, 1903-Woman’s Club Petions For Use of High School Assembly Room
RATHER FAVORS IT. Public Opinion Is Inclined to, Take Sides With the Woman’s Club In An Important Petition. An interesting hearing, involving some equally interesting questions of public policy, was…
This Day in Norwood History-May 30, 1957-Thrills Promised By Christiani Brothers’ Circus At Elks’ Field
Corky Cristiani Corky Cristiani, 21, and pretty famous equestrienne with the Cristiani Bros. Circus like nearly all on the list of performers, has inherited her strength and skill, and daring.…