NORWOOD WILL DEDICATE MEMORIAL BUILDING TOMORROW
MEMORIAL MUNICIPAL BUILDING, NORWOOD
THE BOSTON GLOBE-SATURDAY. NOVEMBER 10. 1928
The dedication exercises of the new Memorial Municipal Building will be held next Sunday afternoon.
The exercises will start at 2 p m, with the first carillon concert scheduled to start at 3 p m. Gov-Elect Frank G. Allen will be the principal speaker. James A. Halloran, town moderator, will preside. The dedication exercises are as follows: prayer, Rev James F. Doherty: “America,” Norwood Band; remarks, Rev George VV. Nead, Commander
George K. Bird Post, G. A. R., and Paul I. Bernier, Commander Norwood Post, A. L., unveiling of field piece by Norwood Post, A. L., address, Lieut Gov Frank G. Allen; introduction of donor of carillon, Walter F. Tilton; introduction of architect, William G. Upham, presentation of keys of building. Edward F. Miner, contractor; presentation of building to the town, Francis J. Foley, chairman building committee; acceptance of’ building by tne town, Thomas B. Mulvehill, chairman Selectmen; sounding of taps, benediction. Rev John D. Brush, chaplain Norwood Post, A. L.
Fire Bell to Ring
Work on the new building, which cost approximately $500,000, was started in August, 1927. The Gothic style of architecture was decided on by the committee, which likewise planned the erection of one of the finest carillon towers to be found in this country.
In December, 1927, Walter F. Tilton donated to the town 50 carillon bells at a cost of $50,000. Later Mr Tilton donated the iron stairway leading up to the tower and the furnishings for the carillonneur’s chamber at a cost of several thousand dollars.
For one hour previous to the exercises, the old fire bell which now has a permanent abode in the carillon tower will be rung by two veteran firemen.
The dedication exercises and the concert on the Tilton carillon will be broadcast by the Norwood Chamber of Commerce over Station WEEI. Concerts will also be given Sunday evening and Monday afternoon and evening. All the concerts will be given by Kamiel Lefevere, Belgian carillonneur.
The building is of seam faced granite with limestone trimmings and slate roof. The main entrance is through large archways at the base of the memorial tower, the floor of which, paved in granite, has a bronze inlay showing the points of the compass. The ceiling is of limestone and granite and on one wall is a bronze tablet on Which is inscribed the name of the building, building committee, contractor and architect.
The main staircase is built of limestone with iron balustrades and railings and the walls are paneled in heavy oak. The plaster ceiling is elaborately molded with military emblems. On the two sides of the stairway spaces have been prepared for two mural paintings, one of which has been donated by and the other jointly by Arthur C. Tilton and his sister, Mabel F. Tilton Coolidge.
On the left of the main entrance is the memorial foyer, with walls of oak crowned by Gothic frieze and with Gothic ceiling. On the walls of the foyer are eight bronze tablets, the gift of Charles J. Prescott, on which are the names of all those who left Norwood for war, dating back as far as the Colonial Wars.
The names of the veterans of the early wars were obtained by Fred Day, who gave practically an entire year to obtaining the complete histories of the veterans.
The foyer leads directly to the Memorial Hall, which is the beauty spot of the building. The hall is finished in oak with a slate floor and limestone steps leading to the platform, over which is the memorial window.
The memorial window, donated by Gov-Elect Frank G. Allen, occupies practically the entire north end of the Memorial Hall and includes all of the limestone trimming both on the inside and outside of the window.
Cyrus Dallin made the models for the figures of the Civil War Veteran, World War Veteran and American Eagle that form the principal motif of the window on the inside of the building. Gen Edwards also assisted the committee in their endeavors to have faithful reproductions of the veterans of these wars.
The approximate cost of the window is $7000.
Rev Mr Nead Fireplace
The furniture in the hall will consist of heavy Gothic oak benches, with a Gothic table for the presiding officer and Gothic chairs for other officers. At the south end of the hall is a limestone fireplace, donated by citizens of the town: TO Honor Rev George W. Nead, Commander of George K. Bird Post, G. A. R.. 1901-1912 to 1928. Over the fireplace is a painting by Prof Haffner of Harvard, showing the “Boys of ’61” going to war. In a small section on the left a naval scene is depicted and on the right a campfire scene, with an angel and the scale of justice- crowning the representation. Other figures of a Lessor nature adorn the other walls of the hall which has a seating capacity of approximately 300.
The office Section of the building is separate from the memorial section.
The Selectmen’s room is panelled, with the Gothic ceiling and floor of inlaid cork. The furniture consists of two English trestle tables and five large chairs, upholstered in leather, with smaller chairs for visitors. Fitting into the panelling on one of the walls is a space which provides for the layout of town maps.
The fourth floor will not be used for many years to come if the growth of the town progresses at the normal rate. This leaves 20 percent of the office portion for future development. For the present it will make an ideal drafting room for the town engineers.
The memorial tower, 125 feet high, is the only one in the country which was specially designed for the carillon.
Its set of bells is the second largest in the country.