Further Developments Awaited As Probe Continues; Indictments May Be Sought

The Norwood police, working .in close cooperation with the District Attorney’s office and the Cambridge and Holbrook police, have recovered part of the $6000 worth of loot stolen from the Appliance Sales & Service store at 1124-1130 Washington Street on the night of May 28 and Grand Jury indictments may be sought at the September session of the Grand Jury, it was learned this morning.
George Kenney, secretary for District Attorney Edmund R. Dewing at the courthouse in Dedham, said today that Lieutenant Detective William Delay is working on the case and that additional details may be released soon.
First word that part of the loot taken in the early morning break at the South Norwood store had been recovered, came last Wednesday when Cambridge and Holbrook police raided the home of a Holbrook man and recovered over $2000 worth of electrical appliances Some of these articles have been identified as being part of the loot taken in the Norwood break. Police Chief Thomas C. Lydon stated today that he and Sgt. Mark Folan are working with Lt. Delay on the Norwood angle of the case.
The first break in the case came when the Cambridge police, investigating a call about a break in a Cambridge warehouse, uncovered clues that led them, to Holbrook. There with Holbrook officers, they raided a house on Franklin Street in that town and uncovered’ the loot now being held- as evidence. Some of the loot recovered in the Holbrook home came from the Cambridge break, the district attorney’s office said.
As the result of the investigation of the Cambridge police, three men are now in custody and after arraignment in Middlesex County will be linked with the Norwood theft and appear in the Dedham courts.
Dozens of television sets which were stolen in the Cambridge and Norwood breaks are still being sought, the district attorney’s office revealed, and the three men in custody will be questioned at length to determine what became of that part of the loot.
(All articles were originally published in the Norwood Messenger unless otherwise noted)
Norwood Scrapbook-August 3
A comprehensive daily compilation of historical news from Norwood, Massachusetts on August 3. Featuring stories of town planning, public safety efforts, regional transportation, local achievements, and community concert traditions.
Traffic Concerns Stall Zoning Board Hearing on Proposed Caldor Shopping Center on Route 1-July 30, 1980
A zoning board hearing for the proposed $3 million Caldor shopping center on Route 1 was continued to August 19 as developers Bronson & Hutensky worked to finalize safe traffic access through Park Place Industrial Park.
Library Throws Book at Woman in Norwood-July 27, 1984
Susan Andrews became the first person arrested in Norwood for failing to return overdue books to the Morrill Memorial Library.
Appeals Board Postpones Decision On Norwood Golf Course Proposal-July 26, 1973
The Norwood appeals board postponed a decision on developer Frank R. Simoni’s proposed 97-acre golf course near Access Road, requesting a certified site plan.
In Memoriam: Walter J. “Wally” Hughes Jr. (1947 – July 25, 2026)
Opening Tribute The Norwood community joins the Hughes family in mourning the unexpected passing of Walter J. “Wally” Hughes Jr. on July 25, 2026, at the age of 79. For … Continue reading In Memoriam: Walter J. “Wally” Hughes Jr.…
Discover more from Norwood Historical Society
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.





