New plans and ideas were formulated and discussed at the quarterly meeting of the Norwood Historical Society, held Sunday afternoon, January 26, at Day House, Society Headquarters.
Mrs. Frederick P. Penard, President, conducted the business meeting at which Mrs. Clara W. Berwick, the organization’s only living charter member, presented a gavel. The gavel, made of silver and wood from “Old Ironsides,” was presented to her husband, Walter Berwick, November 14, 1905, who was at that time President of the Printer’s Board of Trade of New England.
The only living honorary member, Mrs. James Shumaker, presented a dress to the club which originally belonged to Mrs. John Smith, Mrs. Day’s sister. Nearly 100 years old, the dress, made of black taffeta trimmed with green velvet and embroidered lilies-of-the-valley, will be added to the fine historical collection of costumes at Day House.
Mrs. Penard gave a progress report of work accomplished. She announced that the outside sign was being restored through the courtesy of the Evening Division of the Norwood Woman’s Club and the necessary carpenter work was donated by Arthur Gleichauf. It was further reported that through the efforts of the Norwood Woman’s Club, particularly the Conservation and Garden Committee, Mrs. Howard Watson, chairman, that some shrubs had been removed from the property and thanks were expressed to George T. Mahoney, who had this task accomplished. Need of library cataloging was acknowledged.
Mrs. Frederick O: Aspinwall, house chairman, outlined a 14-point program of objectives for 1964-1965 which included various aspects of restoration and refurbishing of the interior of the home. The necessity of the acquisition of additional period furniture, colonial and Victorian, suitable draperies, and a new American flag was disclosed.
On the motion of Attorney James J.. Curran, finance commissioner, it was voted to appoint a committee for the revision of the by-laws, such committee to be appointed by the president.
Preceding the Tegular meeting, the special meeting was held for the proposal of new members. Those who were duly appointed to the Norwood Historiçal Society are: Mrs. Berwick, rejoining member, and Mr. and Mrs. Frederick W. Carritte, Mrs. Edmund G. Dalton, Miss Olive M. Dalton, Miss Hilda L. Gillette, Mr. Leo E. Levitre, Mr. and Mrs. Richard G. Nead, Mrs. Harvard W. Wilkinson, and Mr. Harry A. Wilson of Norwood, England.
Mrs. Robert H. Cook, program chairman, introduced Miss Alice Silva, who gave a delightful showing of her colored slides, depicting many of the places of historic Massachusetts. Many of her prizewinning photographs of Saugus, Gloucester, Boston, Sturbridge, Rockport, and Plymouth were shown to an appreciative audience.
Interest was also evidenced in the display of a Colombia Gramaphone owned by the society and the MSFWC art exhibit and crewel work which were exhibited by Mrs. J. Osborne Holmes, art chairman of the Norwood Woman’s Club, a social hour with refreshments was held in the handsome front parlor following the meeting.
The Bay State League will hold the Spring meeting April 18 at the Dorchester Historical Society. Further information may be obtained from Mrs. Penard.
It was announced that the month of February has been proclaimed by His Excellency, Governor Endicott Peabody, for the observance and study of United States History.
Norwood Neighborhoods Exhibits Sources and Acknowledgements
The Swedeville Walking tour (courtesy of George Curtis) Acknowledgements: The Norwood Historical Society would like to give a special thank you to several people, who without their knowledge, help and…
This Day In Norwood History-March 12, 1998-Reproducing 19th-century wallpaper discovered in the Day House attic
A subtle treasure During a recent restoration of pioneer photographer Fred Holland Day’s home in Norwood, project workers came across quite a find: original rolls of 1890s wallpapers, stored by…
1930 German Residents of Wilson Street (first half)
The Schacht House (photo by LLKearney) #2 Wilson – Home of Anthony Izza, Rhode Island, book cloth machine operator #28 Wilson Street – Home of Hilmer Ekland, Sweden, floorcovering machinist…
The “Split” and along Walpole Street
Postcard of the Methodist Church at the intersection of Washington and Walpole Streets Church on split. This church was built in 1900 and was the original home of the Methodist…