fbpx

This Day In Norwood History-January 16, 1914-Town Manager Proposed For Norwood

FOR A TOWN MANAGER

Administrative Head For Norwood Proposed.

Legislature to Be Asked For Town Government Changes.

Fri, Jan 16, 1914 – 9 · The Boston Globe (Boston, Massachusetts) · Newspapers.com

NORWOOD. Jan 16 — At a special town meeting last evening in Everett Hall, the report of the town charter committe, embodying a Synopsis of the proposed changes in town Government, was presented by Town Counsel James A. Halloran and accepted. A bill embodying the changes will be presented to the Legislature tomorrow.

The plan provides for an unpaid board of five Selectmen, to serve three years, alternation in election being provided for; an elected unpaid Finance Commission of three, to serve three years, which shall make up the annual budget of the town, and a board of three assessors, to be appointed by the Selectmen.

The Selectmen shall act as Overseers of the Poor and Supervisors of Highways, as at present, and shall also take over the powers and duties of the Water, Sewer, Park and Municipal Light Commissioners and tree warden, and those offices shall be abolished.

The plan provides for a general town manager, who shall be the administrative head of all departments of the town and shall purchase supplies, except books for the Public Library and schools, hire and discharge assistants and employees, have charge of the Police Department, and act in an advisory capacity to the Selectmen. He shall be appointed by the Selectmen and be removed at their will.

The offices of town clerk and town accountant are combined, also the offices of town treasurer and tax collector. Provision is made for recall of town officers. It is planned to have a vote taken on the acceptance of the act. if it passes the Legislature, next October, so it may go into effect in January, 1915.

At the meeting last .evening the town planning committee asked for the appointment of a committee to revise the building law’s of the town, and it was voted that a committee of five be appointed by the moderator, to report at the annual town meeting.

This Day In Norwood History-February 4, 1941-Federal Auxiliary Airport in Norwood Asked in Proposal to State Legislature

This Day In Norwood History-February 4, 1941-Federal Auxiliary Airport in Norwood Asked in Proposal to State Legislature

While the legislative committee on military affairs remained deadlocked over the site for a new state-operated East Boston Airport auxiliary landing field, Senator Mason Sears of Dedham yesterday gained suspension…

This Day in Norwood History-February 3, 1948-Count Von Rumford Branded Spy By Historical Society Speaker

This Day in Norwood History-February 3, 1948-Count Von Rumford Branded Spy By Historical Society Speaker

Painting of Sir Benjamin Thompson, Count Rumford by Thomas Gainsborough 1783 A letter written in a nut-bark fluid to General Thomas Gage, British leader in the American Revolution, has recently been discovered and…

This Day in Norwood History-February 3, 1955-Plimpton Press Provides Jobs for 900- Annual Payroll $3.5 Million

This Day in Norwood History-February 3, 1955-Plimpton Press Provides Jobs for 900- Annual Payroll $3.5 Million

Plimpton Press, the famous printing house which occupies the sprawling industrial buildings between Lenox street and the railroad, provides jobs for some 800 to 900 people in highly skilled work…

This Day in Norwood History-February 3, 1965-Norwood Shuts Out Milton 2-0 For 7th In a Row

This Day in Norwood History-February 3, 1965-Norwood Shuts Out Milton 2-0 For 7th In a Row

Norwood Goalie Tom Smelstor The Norwood High School hockey team, minus the services of top scorer Capt. Blaine Maus and Richy Hebner, blanked Milton, 2-0, Saturday afternoon at the Loring…

Related Posts

error: Content is protected !!
%d bloggers like this:
search previous next tag category expand menu location phone mail time cart zoom edit close