This Day in Norwood History-December 4, 1941-South Norwood Knitting Unit Aids Red Cross

SOUTH NORWOOD RED CROSS knitting group which lias compiled an enviable record for the production fï sweaters since its inception some time ago. Left to right, front: .Mrs. A. Alionen; Mrs. H. Mazieka; Miss McDonough; Mrs. W. S. Cochrane; Production Chairman ,Mrs. Sadie Howard; Captain of Unit, Mrs. C. Icoger Pearson; Chairman Red Cross Unit, Mrs. B. Coksky; Mrs. J. Vesaleuskas; .Mrs. I). Steapnof; Miss Rose aalloom. Middle: Mrs. Halme. Mrs. S. Kulmala. Mrs. A. Wuoriy, Mrs. M. Heino, Mrs. Ríndala, Mrs. L, undersoil. Mrs. A. Ross Mrs. H. Wuore, Mrs. E. Alio. Mrs. G. Bader, and .Miss Emily Moses. Rear: Mrs. F. U’akiken, Mrs. L. Sointu. Mrs. J. Koski. Mrs. F. Suman. Mrs. S. Cans. Mrs. H. Kekke, Miss S. Lammincux, Jirs. M. Sheehan. Mrs. E. Mackys. Mrs. R. Gelman. and Miss J. Mazeika.

Piling up close to 700 hours of knitting in the brief three weeks since it has been organized, the South Norwood unit of the American Red Cross knitting division have turned out 30 garments, it was revealed today.

Miss Sadie Howard is the chairman of the South Norwood unit that meets every Thursday evening in the Balch School.

Many of the women who from this busy unit are housewives, office, and factory workers, who put in every available spare hour knitting Red Cross garments in the evenings.

Linked with the South Norwood unit in the volunteer service is the Finnish Branch of the International Workers organization who boasts among its members, Elsie Aho, one of the prized 100-hour Red Cross medal award winners. She has a total hour record of 127 to date.

The unit formed on November 3rd and within a month has compiled an enviable record.

Not all the women volunteers have as yet turned in their work hours and the total records are therefore somewhat incomplete.

Among the Finnish workers are Elsie Ahò with 127 hours, Fanny Koski, Mrs. Heino, Greta Halme, and Fanny Heikkinen with 51 hours each, Higa Wari, Lydia Anderson, Gilda Kaski, Fanny Ylikoki with 26 hours each.

In a separate unit are Emily Moses with 74 hours, Rose Saloom, Gerry Bader, Francis Suman, Molly Jazastias, Mrs. DeBerto all with 26 hours, Helen Tratt has 52 hours, and Eva Banzie with the same number, Isabell Vasilauskas has 51 while Helen Mazieka, Celia Max, Mrs. Sheehan, Milly Tulls, Mary Zabronski, Alma Antonen, and Margaret Selwyn had worked an unrecorded number of hours. Beatrice Cofsky and Domicella Stepnof have turned in 25 hours each in Red Cross knitting work.

This Day in Norwood History-June 5, 1892-Lady Bicyclists

This Day in Norwood History-June 5, 1892-Lady Bicyclists

Dr. Soberbrow, in his address to the graduating class of one of our lady colleges last year, while he complimented them on their attainments and beauty, said that he hoped…

This Day in Norwood History-June 1, 1950-John B. Kennedy Sworn In As Town Manager

This Day in Norwood History-June 1, 1950-John B. Kennedy Sworn In As Town Manager

MANAGER SWORN IN—John B. Kennedy, Norwood town manager (right) was sworn into office by town clerk, Walter Blasenak at the Norwood municipal building. The new manager will commute between Winthrop…

This Day in Norwood History-June 5, 1950-Last Tribute Paid To R. Russell Williamson

This Day in Norwood History-June 5, 1950-Last Tribute Paid To R. Russell Williamson

Prominent Citizen, Banker, Businessman And Churchman, Dies Here At Age of 71 Norwood’s outstanding citizen, banker, businessman, and churchman. R. Russell Williamson, died unexpectedly at the Norwood Hospital Saturday afternoon…

The Plimpton Wing, a gift of Alice Morrill Plimpton (sister of Sara Bond Morrill and daughter of George H. Morrill) was built in 1928 as a three-story wing at the right-rear of the library. (Photo courtesy Charlotte Canelli/Morrill Memorial Library. Colorized by the Norwood Historical Society)

This Day in Norwood History-June 5, 1950-New Steel Display Shelves at the Morrill Memorial Library

FOR THE CONVENIENCE of its users the Morrill Memorial Library has arranged to have the steel display shelves constructed in the Plimpton Wing as well as a small reading nook…

error: Content is protected !!
%d bloggers like this:
search previous next tag category expand menu location phone mail time cart zoom edit close