(“GREEN and RED ROOM”(in 1893 inventory)
- This was Fred Holland Day’s bedroom and study from 1893 until 1919.
- A writing desk drops down behind the doors to the right in the window area. A narrow draped bed stood in the alcove near the door. The antique bureau, Empire period gold-leaf mirror, and framed print are in their original positions. The draperies were red. Storage closets are cleverly concealed.
- The Historical Society’s 1996 restoration of this room was funded by the children of Alfred Tanneyhill, a long-time employee and friend of the family. Initially hired by Mrs. Anna Day to serve as a coachman and butler, Tanneyhill became household manager and remained in that position until the death of Fred Day. The room is dedicated to Mr. Tanneyhill’s memory.
- The paneled chimney area has its original coat of paint, darkened by age. It has been restored. Other areas, which had faded badly, were repainted in the original green as it appeared when chosen by Day. The wallpapers were custom reproduced from roll-ends found in the attic; the “picture rail” molding was custom milled to match pieces that remained in the room.
- Artifacts from old South Dedham: the green-painted box belonged to F.H. Day’s paternal grandfather Joseph Day. Windsor chair (John Dean).
- Louise Imogen Guiney (1862-1920), essayist and poet, was one of Fred Day’s closest friends. She shared his enthusiasm for Keats and together they were responsible for the first memorial to the poet in 1894 – a bust in Hampstead Parish Church in London. Day donated over 600 letters from her to him to the Library of Congress along with hundreds of his own photographs anonymously. He called the gift The Louise Imogen Guiney Collection. Guiney had property in Five Islands, Maine. After she moved to England, Day summered there, then bought the property. He built a large chalet on the land where he entertained friends, colleagues, and young people from Boston. Introduced to the area by Day, fellow photographer Clarence White opened a summer school in photography in 1910. The rustic furniture in this room was from the chalet and donated to the Society by the current owners.
Day House Tour
This was Fred Day’s personal library. It connects by a small set of stairs to his bedroom above, enabling him to use this area of the house as a private space. The room is a unique, multi-level space. The desk…