: “Dublin” Neighborhood Reunion

On July 11, 1977, a planning committee for the “Dublin Reunion” announced that a meeting would be held at 8:00 p.m. that evening at the home of Tom Costello, located at 67 Nichols St., to finalize logistics for an upcoming neighborhood gathering. The reunion is slated to take place on September 18 at Concannon’s Village in Norwood. The event will feature a “happy hour” beginning at 4:00 p.m., followed by a roast beef dinner at 6:00 p.m.

The organizers, motivated by a desire to rekindle old friendships among former neighbors of the “Dublin” section of town, are urging interested parties to reach out to committee members. The organizing team includes Ed King (246 Railroad Ave.), Mike Donahue (94 Prospect St.), Alice Falon Erker (1192 Main St., Walpole), Rita Connally (358 Nahatan St.), and Margaret Keody (16 Pine St.).

Archival Note: This article has been dynamically reconstructed from the original public record print archives of the Patriot Ledger

More…

  • South Dedham’s Furniture Building

    Censuses of the Christian Hill neighborhood, between the years 1850 and 1865, indicate the majority of homeowners in the neighborhood worked for local furniture manufacturers. Before the Civil War, the W. Everett & Co. manufacturing concern was one of the largest employers in South Dedham. At one time, it is said they had around 300…

  • We Still Call it Home — Norwood’s Neighborhoods

    In 1872, the Commonwealth of Massachusetts accepted a petition from the residents of a village in South Dedham and the town of Norwood was established.  As Norwood grew,  many people settled here from other parts of New England and from all over the world. During the 1890’s and into the early 1900s, Norwood’s population grew rapidly.…

  • Market and Central Street Relocation

    This September 1910 plan of John E. Smith’s Estate shows a very different downtown area than we recognize today. At that time, Market street ran from Old Parish Cemetery to Nahatan st, then turned diagonally Westward toward Washington street, cutting across the lot where the Town Common is now and ending close to the present-day…

  • Dublin Neighborhood Reunion Planning Underway-July 11, 1977

    : “Dublin” Neighborhood Reunion On July 11, 1977, a planning committee for the “Dublin Reunion” announced that a meeting would be held at 8:00 p.m. that evening at the home of Tom Costello, located at 67 Nichols St., to finalize logistics for an upcoming neighborhood gathering. The reunion is slated to take place on September…

  • Origin of Norwood Names-Norwood Square, Guild Corner-July 3, 1903

    This is the first article in a new series, “Origin of Norwood Names”, where we will attempt to determine the story behind the naming of different places, buildings, and streets in Norwood. If you know the origin of a name in Norwood, please send us the information at george@norwoodhistoricalsociety.org.

  • Norwood Business Association Votes On Names For Norwood Square-This Day in Norwood History-February 6, 1903

    A CLUB HOUSE SCHEME Also “Hook Square” Disturbs the Serenity of a Tame Board .of Trade Meeting The Norwood Business Association and Board of Trade were disappointed in failing to secure any one of its expected out-of-town speakers for last Tuesday evening. The monthly meeting was made quite interesting, nevertheless, by the consideration of a…

  • Band Stand Location Debated-This Day in Norwood History-June 6, 1902

    Finding a fitting location for public gatherings or band concerts was becoming a challenge in Norwood by 1902. The subject of building a bandstand in one of the parks close to the center of town was raised yet again. It would be years before George Willett spearheaded the construction of the Town Common that we…


Discover more from Norwood Historical Society

Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.