: “Dublin” Neighborhood Reunion
On July 11, 1977, a planning committee for the “Dublin Reunion” announced that a meeting would be held at 8:00 p.m. that evening at the home of Tom Costello, located at 67 Nichols St., to finalize logistics for an upcoming neighborhood gathering. The reunion is slated to take place on September 18 at Concannon’s Village in Norwood. The event will feature a “happy hour” beginning at 4:00 p.m., followed by a roast beef dinner at 6:00 p.m.
⠀
The organizers, motivated by a desire to rekindle old friendships among former neighbors of the “Dublin” section of town, are urging interested parties to reach out to committee members. The organizing team includes Ed King (246 Railroad Ave.), Mike Donahue (94 Prospect St.), Alice Falon Erker (1192 Main St., Walpole), Rita Connally (358 Nahatan St.), and Margaret Keody (16 Pine St.).
Archival Note: This article has been dynamically reconstructed from the original public record print archives of the Patriot Ledger
More…
-
Meet The Germantown Neighbors
Initially Wilson Street, Norwood had been part of Walpole. Five families were affected when the area became part of Norwood in 1872 when Norwood was established. According to records, these families agreed to the switch. In the 1880 census, Julius Balduf was the only German living on Wilson Street, although census records show several German…

-
The Gottscheers
Many of the homes on Wilson, Walpole and Bullard Streets were populated by immigrants from Gottschee, Krain, Austria-Hungary Empire. This was a German-speaking enclave in Krain, a Duchy of the Austrian-Hungary Empire called a “Deutsche Sprachinsel.” Originally settled in the 14th century by Germans from several different German and Austrian towns, it was an unpopulated…

-
The Germans
Germans have been immigrating to the United States, long before it became an established country. In fact, German’s are one of the largest ethnic groups to have immigrated to the United States. Germans began arriving in South Dedham in the 1840s. This first wave of German immigrants who came to town, were skilled artisans hired…

-
Germantown: A Community of Gottscheers
Germantown was an almost self-contained section of Norwood in the early 1900s. Located in the Southwest portion of the town, it was largely unsettled land owned by Joseph Fisher. Around 1767 Mr. Fisher sold a large parcel of the land along Hawes Brook to Solomon Bullard who built a house near today’s dam that forms…

-
History of the Germantown Area
Long before South Dedham became Norwood, there was industry here supported by immigrants from many countries. One of the first industries was the Willard Everett Furniture factory, located approximately where the Lorusso portion of the Norwood Hospital was. Willard Everett was a furniture apprentice to Jabez Boyden who made furniture in a small mill near…

-
Germantown Points of Interest
Today, very little remains of Germantown except for the houses. Both Bullard and Wilson Streets are highly traveled, as they are a shortcut to Westwood. Some of the Germantown places and buildings are gone, and those that remain have been repurposed. People traveling down these two streets probably never realize that at one time, this…

-
St George Avenue to Atwood Avenue
Abraham Kelly’s Market – 1125 Washington Street The 1923 Norwood Business Directory has Abraham Kelly’s Market listed. It was a Five and Ten Cent Store, which was owned and operated by Abraham Deeb. The building that housed this shop had apartments on the upper floors and space for two shops at ground level. On one…

-
Atwood Avenue to Folan Avenue
Saint George Orthodox Church – 6 Atwood Avenue The church was founded by Syrian immigrants. Before, the church was built, the South Norwood Syrians had to travel to Boston to attend Sunday religious services. This was difficult and they began raising funds to build their own church. In 1918 Abdullah Joseph Howard founded the St.…

-
St James Avenue to St George Avenue
South Norwood Photo Studio —1 St James Avenue (now gone) John Klukas was one of two photographers who operated photo studios in South Norwood. Alexander Lapinsky had a studio around the corner at 1084 Washington. Many of Norwood’s immigrant population liked to have their pictures taken, as it was an affordable way to memorial important…

Discover more from Norwood Historical Society
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.











