
On July 22, 2005, a massive three-alarm fire tore through Norwood, completely demolishing the long-vacant Zimble Drum building located at 61 Endicott Street. Firefighters arrived at the scene shortly before 4 p.m. after towering flames and thick, dark smoke began pouring from the abandoned metal factory. The structure, which had sat empty for many years, was slated to be redeveloped into a modern condominium complex, according to residents living nearby on Lane Drive, a neighborhood of single-family homes that directly abuts the industrial property. At the height of the blaze, intense heat and towering fire reached the tree line, prompting police to briefly advise area residents to evacuate due to concerns over potential chemical hazards stored within the defunct plant.
While no major injuries were reported, the fire created significant anxiety among neighbors regarding environmental safety. Residents noted that transients and teenagers were frequently seen hanging out inside the abandoned structure. Furthermore, historical records from the Environmental Protection Agency and the Norwood Fire Department revealed that state environmental protection officials had previously been called to the scrap metal recycling facility in May 2002 to inspect abandoned containers, drums, and gas cylinders left behind by previous operations. Despite the proximity of the roaring fire and concerns over residual industrial chemicals, many homeowners chose to stay put. Richard Davies, a Lane Drive resident living less than a quarter mile from the site, captured the defiant sentiment of the neighborhood, stating, “This is my house, I’m not going to leave. No one’s really leaving anyway.” Fire crews worked aggressively to contain the inferno, successfully preventing the flames from spreading to nearby residences while reducing the historic industrial eyesore to ruins.
Archival Note: This article has been dynamically reconstructed from the original public record print archives of the Patriot Ledger
More Norwood Fire Stories
-
$25,000 Fire at Roll Land in Norwood-This Day In Norwood History-June 9, 1942
In the early hours of June 9, 1942, a fierce three‑alarm blaze tore through Roll‑land, the popular combination roller skating rink and bowling alley located along the Boston–Providence Highway. The fire, described as stubborn and fast‑moving, raged for more than three hours and caused an estimated $25,000 in damage — a significant loss for wartime…

-
Town Considers Buying Civic Property-This Day In Norwood History-April 22, 1930
Norwood awoke on April 22, 1930, to the smoldering remains of one of its proudest civic landmarks. The Norwood Civic Association complex, a six‑building group gifted to the town years earlier by philanthropist George F. Willett, was gutted by a fire that began the previous afternoon and raged into the night. Four of the six structures—Everett Hall, the gymnasium, the office building,…

-
Civic Center, Gift Of George F. Willett, Destroyed By $100,000 Fire At Norwood-This Day In Norwood History-April 21, 1930
Four Buildings Belonging to Association Destroyed in Blaze of Suspicious Origin —Hospital Nearby Threatened For Time NORWOOD, April 21—Four of the $175,000 group of six buildings presented the Norwood Civic Association for $1 by George F. Willett, Norwood’s famous ex-millionaire, were destroyed by a fire of suspicious Origin at 3:45 this afternoon, which for a…

-
100 Boys Quit Norwood Gym As Burning Roof Collapses-This Day In Norwood History-February 26, 1924
$15,000 Blaze Damages Community Center of Civic Association—Chimney Blamed NORWOOD, Feb 26 — A serious fire broke out about 11 o’clock today in the building of the Norwood Civic Association. It was due to a defective chimney and the roof was soon burned away, While it was on fire a class of 100 boys was…

-
Chief Boyden and Michael Dyer Given Gold Badges For 50 Years Service-This Day In Norwood History-March 6, 1923
NORWOOD, March 6 — At the meeting held in the rooms of the Central Fire Station last night General Manager Hammersley, speaking for Selectman Frank G. Allen, who was unable to be present, presented Chief J. Fred Boyden of the Norwood Fire Department and Michael Dyer, a member of the department, gold fire badges, commemorating…

-
H. Frank Walker Retires From Norwood Board of Engineers-This Day In Norwood History-January 8, 1916
FIRE FIGHTER 50 YEARS. Began as Boy During Civil War. H. FRANK WALKER. NORWOOD. Jan 8 — H. Frank Walker, who has retired from the Norwood Fire Department after a continuous service since the Spring of 1884, has had 51 years of fire fighting. Mr. Walker served on the Board of Engineers Of the Norwood…

-
Norwood Firemen Called Out 11 Times In 48 Hours-This Day In Norwood History-March 15, 1915
The Norwood Fire Department was on the jump Saturday and yesterday. An alarm Saturday afternoon was from box 59, corner of Walpole and Wilson sts, and the departments long run for a serious brush fire In Baldufs Grove, threatening German Turnverein Hall and the bowling alleys. The still alarms were: At 9:30 in the forenoon,…

-
Three Fires In Two Days-This Day In Norwood History-August 25, 1905
This Day In Norwood History-August 25, 1905-Three Fires In Two Days

Discover more from Norwood Historical Society
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.










