These news items were the talk of the town on September 8, 1888

—Mr. Norman Thayer bus another new horse.
—There are now 35S water takers in Norwood.
—Look out for jour pct flower bed these cool nights.
—Dr. Nyc has taken quarters at Mr. Tinker’s on Cottage Street.
—Misses Fannie and Lottie Morrill started for Norton Wednesday.
—The caucus last Tuesday night was the largest for some time.
—Send a copy of the “Home paper” to your friend every week.
—Walter S. Hill returned from his vacation at Hartford on Tuesday.
—Miss Olive Chaplin has returned to the Bridgewater Normal School.
—Mr. F. M. Baker has built a concrete sidewalk from his residence to Washington Street.
—We are sorry to learn of the illness of Mr. W. II. Gay, and hope that he will soon be out again.
—The 30th anniversary of the Baptist Sunday school will be held tomorrow afternoon at 3 o’clock.
_ —Mr. and Mrs. E. E. Clapp, of Oakdale, were in town Thursday night taking in the band concert.
—Mrs. J. E. Everett and family have moved to Newtonville, and the old homestead has already taken on a wry lonely look.
—Mr. Wm McLellan has been in town this week,—received his sentence, and has been taken to the reformatory at Concord.
—The concreting done on Mr. Lewis Day’s place nineteen years ago by Mr. Wilson, is now being repaired for the first time.
—Mr. W. D. Libby, of Pennsylvania, with his wife and d.iughlci arc visiting Mr. and Mrs. S. A. Libby of this place.
—The patrons of Norwood Station feel very indignant over the manner the N. Y. &N. E. R. R. is treating its agent at that station.
—Mr. Chas. Young of Revere, Mass., has been engaged as music teacher in our schools for the coming year. He will use the same system employed by Mr. Cutler.
—The shore season is about over, and people who have been enjoying the salt air and water are flocking homeward, thus another season is at an end.
—The will of the late Mrs. Mary Cragin was admitted to probate at Dedham on Wednesday, and among her bequests are some very substantial ones to charitable societies.
—Mr. Marcus M. Alden left on Tuesday for a three days’ vacation down in Mame. He expects to go gunning and also do some tall blowing for “Cleveland and Reform.”
—The various Masonic institutions begin the regular meeting this month, after a vacation of three months. The Blue Lodge on Monday nearest the full moon, and the Chapter on the last Friday evening of this month.
—The first hard frost made its appearance here Friday morning, Sept. 7th. and those who did not cover up their tender plants have had a chance to sec them wilt down. Everything was covered with a mantle of white, and much damage must have been done in this vicinity.
—The sermon of Dr. Nye at the ’ Universalist Church last Sunday, was one of the most powerful discourses this learned gentleman has ever given his hearers.
Next Sunday evening he begins a series of four discourses on the future life.
—Business in Norwood was quite generally suspended Monday, and some of our people went to Boston to see sights, some to Rendville to witness the “horse race,” some went fishing, and a few went to Lake Pearl to attend a picnic. The weather was all that could be desired.
—A new lamp has been placed at the junction of Walpole and Washington streets, and the thanks of everyone who is obliged to travel in this locality’ after dark, are due to the parties that have put up this lamp It throws its rays up Walpole and Washington streets and down Guild street. There is no place in town where a light was more needed. Thanks!
—On Tuesday morning the streets of our town were made merry with busy voices of the children as they were on their way to resume the school-work of the year. Teachers and children who had not met for weeks, were pleased to see each other’s faces again. And even the boys who have said that their teacher was “cross” and that she was “horrid,” were seen walking up and greeting her with a smile as she made her appearance.
—The Republicans on Railroad Avenue are awake and up to the times. They want to raise a Harrison and Morton flag near the residence of Mr. Kelly, but as the people living on the opposite side arc staunch Democrats, they refused to allow it to go up. Arrangements have been, however, so that if the abutters make no objections a pole will be set in the sidewalk, and Norwood will have another Republican flag to the breeze.
—October weather in September! what will the winter be?
—Miss Grace B. Fisher returned on Thursday from her summer vacation and visit to friends in New Hampshire.
—The new room devoted to the High School contains 36 seats, which are full and there are four scholars hanging on the hooks.
—The Young People’s Missionary Association held its monthly meeting in the vestry of the -Universalist Church, last Tuesday. It was voted to hold the meetings every two weeks instead of monthly, as heretofore.
—No more band concerts! Owing to the extreme coolness of the weather the Norwood Brass Band has decided to give no more concerts this season. Nine concerts have been given, and the last one. which was given Thursday evening, was the finest of all. There were not as many present as on former occasions, and those who were there were obliged to keep in motion to be comfortable.
—The piccolo solo rendered by Mr. Copeland, was the finest we ever listened to.
The Band has fully sustained its high reputation for merit, and the members may feel assured that their efforts have been appreciated.
—The meanest thing we have heard of this week is the poisoning of a lot of hay with “Paris green,” on the land belonging to John McDonald near Dean Street. The standing grass was sold to Mr. Burke, who cut it, made it, and cocked it up; and last Sunday night some ill-disposed person took a can of “Paris green” and sprinkled it over the tops of the hay cocks. It is thought that it was done by an enemy of Mr. McDonald for “spite.” The can which was numbered was left in the field and is now in the hands of the Selectmen. A detective will doubtless be put upon the case, and if the guilty party is caught, it will “Go hard with him.”
—Another very sad affair has occurred here, and one that has thrown Norwood people into a whirl of excitement. Mr. John Walsh, who has been employed at Winslow’s tannery went to Boston last Monday and failed to return that night. On the following day a bloody coat and vest was found on the abutment of the sluiceway on Boston Street, where Stony Brook enters into the Charles River. In a pocket was found a receipt for pew rent, which bore the name of John Walsh. Since that time an active search has been made for the body, and at about 5.30 Thursday p. m. officers connected with Station 16 found his body in a deep hole about 30 feet from the abutment. How he came there is a mystery. It is thought that he fell in. The suicide theory is doubted. Mr. Walsh was about 35 years old, and leaves a widow and two very young children.
—Mr. F. A. Fales of this place has very kindly seen that the body was carefully prepared for burial before bringing it to Norwood, and the funeral will probably take place this morning.

—About fifty gentlemen met in Village Hall, Tuesday night, in response to the call for a Republican caucus, and the meeting was called to order by H. W. Barrett, who was on motion of F. A. Fales made chairman. W. T. Whedon was made secretary, and the Chairman announced that the machine was in shape, and the business of the evening was ground out in the following order.
On motion of Hon. W. E. Cocke a committee of five was appointed by the Chair, consisting of the following: W. E. Locke, C. E. Pond, T. F. Guv. F. W. Crooker and George F. Bagley whose duty it was to repair to the ante room and prepare a list of names to serve as delegates to the several Conventions. The Committee was out but a few minutes when the following names were submitted, and these gentlemen were unanimously elected :
To the State Convention: Hon. W. E. Locke and F. A. Fales.
Congressional: Lewis Day and Chas. E. Pond.
Councilor: F. W. Turner and T. F. Guy.
Senatorial: E. J. Shattuck and Austin E. Pratt.
County: Rev. Geo. Hill and T. E. Clary.

While the names were being prepared Rev. Geo. Hill made a lively speech, in which he urged upon the young enters the importance of voting with the Republican party, the party that has been the originator of all good movements.
On motion of W. T. Whedon, the delegates were empowered to choose substitutes in case they should be unable to attend.
On motion F. A. Fales the old Town Committee was re-elected.
The representative question was left in the hands of the Town Committee, and it was authorized to ratify Dedham’s choice.
The (white) hat was passed by the the Secretary, and the “cartwheels” were thrown in with great force from all directions.
Caucus dissolved at 8.45.

(Originally published in the Norwood Advertiser and Review)