These news items were the talk of the town on May 16, 1901

The fiftieth or golden wedding anniversary of Mr. and Mrs. Horace E. Dupee will occur on next Tuesday evening, May 21. A large number of relatives and friends have been invited.

Charles Ryan of Railroad Avenue has purchased the Dea. Rhoads house, on Washington Street, lately owned and occupied by Dr. Clark S. Gould, and will remove it to his premises. Dr. Gould will build a new residence on the site of his former one.

Henry E. Farnsworth has purchased the Dr. Dodge house, now occupied by Dr. Steele. Mr. Farnsworth, as an old-time resident and Norwood businessman, is to be congratulated on the success and prosperity which have enabled him to buy this fine and most desirable piece of property.

The tulip and hyacinth beds in front, of St. Catherine’s church and parochial residence are among the most gorgeous and handsome in town. The single bed of dazzling colors of the same flowers in front of the Norwood Press almost equals them, and there are an unusually large number of fine tulip beds in front of private residences here. This seems to be a remarkable Spring for tulips.

Eugene M. Sullivan returned from New York City last Monday noon, accompanied by Mrs. Sullivan and Mrs. George Bray.

Walter J. Partridge returned last Saturday from the homeopathic hospital, Boston, where he underwent a successful operation for appendicitis.

The athletic association has secured a battery in the selection of Messrs. Fiske and Terkins, lately with the Tufts College nine, and feels sure of having a ballgame on Memorial Day afternoon, perhaps with the Carters.

Members of the Royal Arcanum in Norwood will be interested to know that the Grand Regent, D. R. Beckford, Jr., a member of E. Dedham council, proposes to give a public entertainment, with the assistance of the councils in Dedham and vicinity. Eight councils, Book Council among the number, will assist in making the affair a success. The entertainment will be given in Memorial Hall, Dedham, May 28, at 7.45 o’clock, and will be free to members, their ladies, and friends. Tickets can be obtained from the committee of Hook council, Messrs. Conrad Read el, A. Wooster, F. G. Johnson and A. Anderson, or from the secretary, A. R. Small.

Fred Holland Day has cabled home his arrival at Marseilles after a visit to Algeria, in which country he made extensive trips into the interior. He was fairly successful in obtaining views, though not as much so as he had hoped. The Algerine women not only declined to remove their veils but as a rule, declined to pose at all.

F Holand Day- “A Street in Algiers” ca. 1900 (Alfred Stieglitz Collection)
F Holland Day in Algerian robes, circa 1901.

Alfred N. Ambrose was badly bitten in the left hand while attempting to separate two dogs that were fighting. The dogs belonged to Rev. Fr. Troy and Perley B. Thompson.

Something New. — An Employment Office or Registry at Mrs. Corliss’ Restaurant, Main Street, Sharon. Do you want help? Do you want work of any kind? Go and register your name.

Stewart Fray has greatly improved the appearance of his place on Cottage Street by new walks and lawns and considerable grading.

H. C. Babcock has recently shipped 50 Belgian hares to Boston, a portion of them belonging to J. T. Wellington. The Belgian hare industry is evidently booming here.

E. H. Grant has added a new horse to his delivery service.

Martin Brake has been ill and confined to the house with neuralgia of the stomach, but is somewhat better.

George Bucknam is appearing on the streets evenings with a pretty good-looking colt.

The drug store of Shumway & Kennedy in the Hawkins block is closed. If not sold soon the stock will probably be removed to Providence.

Edwin E. Fisher is breaking ground for a new house on Winter Street, nearly opposite the Williamson house.

Arthur N. Hartshorn is ill and confined to the house.

Frederick H. Johnson, of the International Correspondence Schools of Scranton, Pa., has removed to 184 Cottage Street.

George F. Willett has recovered from his recent illness and is about again.

Cornelius B. Horgan, the well-known livery man, was badly kicked while clipping a recently purchased pair of horses last Saturday afternoon. There was a considerable crowd about and the animals became restive. One horse kicked Mr. Horgan in the neck and shoulder, inflicting bruises painful but not dangerous. The other animal struck him in the side, fracturing one rib and cracking another. The genial Neilus is in bed at the present writing, but is recovering rapidly and hopes to be out again in a day or two.

Miss Jessie Bath of Waltham is slowly recovering from her long illness with typhoid fever and is believed to be practically out of danger.

Mr. and Mrs. Constant F. Whitney expect to go to Southport today, and will probably be the first of the Norwood contingent to arrive.

F. E. Bartley is ill and confined to the house, but is now convalescing.

The State encampment of Sir Knight Companions of the uniform rank, K. P., meets in Worcester on Tuesday next, May 21. There will be a parade and a large attendance of Sir Knights from all parts of the State. Norwood has some six or eight U. R. members, some of whom may attend. The grand lodge of Knights of Pythias will meet on Wednesday, the 22nd.

Fred I. Eldredge, formerly of this town, and lately of Bristol, R. I., where he was the local Y. M. C. A. secretary, has been elected financial secretary of the Y. M. C. A. training school, which has its headquarters in Springfield and whose territory extends from Boston to Chicago and from Montreal to Baltimore. a large number of Norwood people attended a musical entertainment at the homo of Mrs. A. M. Nickerson in Dedham, Tuesday afternoon.

Decoration services will begin on Memorial Day at 9 o’clock a.m. The Lynn Cadet Band will head the procession. The services in Village Hall will be held at 7.45 p. m., instead of in the morning, as announced last week. All are urged to show their patriotism on that day by being present and helping in every way they can to make this occasion a success.

Somers Howard has this week moved from Nichols Street to the Simon Cheney house on Howard Street.

Joseph Nee’s handsome now house on Nahatan Street is approaching completion and he expects to occupy it within three weeks.

George Taylor is doing a fine job of grading in front of the High school, putting in a driveway, circle, etc.

The Beacon School
Norwood High School, Beacon Street

The Norwood Tennis Club will give its last dancing party of the season, in Conger Hall, Wednesday evening, May 20.

A construction gang was set at work on the Norwood, Canton, and Sharon railroad, near its Norwood terminus at the Neponset River bridge, yesterday. It begins to look as if the projectors of the road mean business.

William McNaught of Norwood, while riding his wheel in Dedham Wednesday evening, came in collision with another wheel and rider. The front wheel of McNaught’s bike was badly damaged and the rider of the other bicycle sustained injuries, the exact extent of which are as yet unknown.

Mrs. Hannah Carlson, wife of Sven Carlson, died at her home on Cedar Street, on Saturday last, of tuberculosis. She was only 33 years of age, and loaves a husband and 2 small children to mourn their loss. Funeral services on Monday wore conducted by Rev. O. F. Pistor of the Swedish Baptist church. The interment was in Highland Cemetery.

The genial E. B. Pendergast has recovered from his illness and is about town again. He looks so well that one can hardly realize that he has only recently been a very sick man.

Engine 502 jumped the track near Smith’s tannery on Monday last, causing a blockade of the outward track of the N. Y., H. «fe H. R. R., for several hours. Several trains had to use the inward track until the engine was removed.

The Literary Club held a most interesting meeting last Monday night with Mr. and Mrs. W. J. Berwick. The quotations were on “Trees in Poetry.” W. T. Whedon was Club Listener for the evening. The subject of the discussion was “Forestry,” in charge of Mr. C. T. Wheelock. After introducing the subject in a general way, Miss Florence Morse spoke of the timber of the United States. Miss Julia Blackman treated of the woods of the Philippines, and Mrs. P. O. Winslow gave a fine paper on the beauties of the trees she has met with in her travel8. Mr. Wheelock closed the hour in speaking of the science of forestry as a profession and also gave a general idea of the Arnold Arboretum in Boston. The invitations for the club’s annual reception, to be held in the Congregational chapel May 27th, were issued and a committee was appointed to plan for the annual excursion of June 17. The committee comprises Mr. Whedon, Mr. Howard, Dr. Gould, Mrs. Colburn, Mrs. I/, TT, Plimpton, and Mrs. E. D. Smith. The last mooting of the club occurs June 10th, with Mrs. L. H. Plimpton, when the club journal will be given.

C. T. Wheelock has purchased the cottage at North Scituate Beach known as “The Owl,” and will move his family there for the summer season.

Miss Susie D. Wheelock starts for California next Tuesday. She will stop at the Pan-American Exposition for a few days, also in Chicago and other places along the route.

A. W. Alden, janitor of the High school, is deserving of credit for getting a stone driveway put in for coal and other purposes at that school. It is a big improvement to the looks of the place.

tory. Refreshments were served and a donkey party indulged in. The evening closed with games. Dialogues and tableaux will enliven the evening at the entertainment to be held at the same church on Wednesday evening of next week.

An old smoke stack, which was being taken down at Smith’s tannery on Tuesday, to make room for a new one, collapsed and went over the ridge pole, leaving little that was available for smokestack purposes. The event caused some excitement and not a little noise, but beyond some slight injury to the slate roof no damage was done.

Superintendent of Streets Hartshorne is grading the Washington Street sidewalk from Railroad Avenue to George Street.

W. F. Tilton has one of his houses settled on the Nichols Street site.

(Originally published in the Norwood Advertiser and Review)