Edwin W. Fogg, Jr., of 580 Neponset Street, Norwood, was named Public Relations Director of the Massachusetts-Rhode Island Two-State UFO Study Group at the 16th meeting held recently at Belcourt Castle in Newport, R.I.
Some 150 members and guests interested in Unidentified Flying Objects, commonly called “flying saucers,” attended.
President Stephen Putnam played a tape recording of an interview with Mary Starr, of Saybrook, Conn, who sighted a mysterious object outside her window. Miss Starr, a retired school teacher, was interviewed by Reverend Baller, a member of the Board of the National Investigations Committee on Aerial Phenomena (NICAP), At this time, Richard Pothier of Quincy explained how he took his famous color slide last June. Pres. Putnam has analyzed this photograph as being an object with lights on it, and pointed out several places where the object zig-zagged and hovered.
Many other sightings by persons present were reported, one of the most interesting being one by John Maguire, of Topsfield, who reported an incident on April 21, 1963. Two glowing objects about three feet in diameter dropped down into a lake, penetrated the surface, and rose into the air, repeating this performance several times and then disappeared into the sky, it was related. Other sightings were reported by Elizabeth Amelung, Pricilla Draffone, Richard Fowler, Francis Green, Charles Kirk, Mrs. Dallas-sandro, and Mr. Clark.
Putnam spoke at length on the metallic object which was recovered in Quincy. Also exhibited was a piece of slag-type material recovered in Connecticut, and some of the ”popping pebbles” which fell in Quincy.
George Fawcett, past president and founder of the group, announced that he was resigning his membership because his work was taking him out of New England.
On September 6, President Putnam and Mrs. Jeanne Weller, secretary, will be guests of Polly Clark on WORL’s “Timely Topics” program from 9 to 10 a.m.
It is expected that the next meeting of the group will be held in Massachusetts in November.
This Day In Norwood History
Norwood’s Post Office was eventually built on the site of the Everett street lot. FOLK AT NORWOOD DISCUSS NEW SITE FOR POSTOFFICE NORWOOD, Sept 24-More than 750 citizens met in the Junior High School Hall tonight to discuss the question…
Photo showing supposed Native American “grinding holes” in the ledge near the Neponset River at Water Street, 1934. (Photograph by F.P. Orchard, colorized by the Norwood Historical Society) Norwood ERA Archaeological Expedition Unearths Artifacts Of Ancient Civilization, Which Are Checked…
Residents of Norwood Are Called For Action. Alteration of Two Railroad Bridges Part of Plan Proposed. Two warrants for town meetings to be held in Norwood this week are posted—one for Tuesday evening and one for Thursday evening. The former…
Sgt. Edmund Bochanowicz Killed In Bomber Crash In Idaho-This Day In Norwood History-September 25, 1942
Mother Gets Word Of Son’s Death On Her Birthday Sgt. Edmund Bochanowicz, 24, son of Mr. and Mrs. Charles Bochanowicz of 14 Hartford Street, Norwood, was killed early this week in a bomber crash near Gowen Field, Idaho. Enlisted in…