This Day In Norwood History-November 4

SUNDIAL PRESENTED TO NORWOOD FROM GROUP OF CAMPFIRE GIRLS

CAMPFIRE GIRLS PRESENTING SUNDIAL AT NORWOOD

NORWOOD, Nov 3 — The Norwood Campfire Girls today presented to the town a sundial, to be erected in the new town square.

The exercises had been planned to be held in the square, but because of inclement weather were held in the memorial hall in the new Municipal Building.

The exercises opened with the singing of “America the Beautiful” after which Miss Betty Everett recited the campfire ode. Mrs. Charles Smith, treasurer of the Boston chapter, gave a talk on campfire activities, and Miss Anna Roundy, head of the local group, introduced Charles W. Casson of Canton, who has been much interested in the organization. He, too, talked of campfire activities.

Miss Helen Rhodes gave a talk on the sundial and its significance, and made the presentation speech. The gift was accepted by Thomas B. Mulvehill, chairman of the Board of Selectmen. The exercises ended with the singing of the campfire song.

The inscription on the Sundial reads:

“THE FIRST FUNDS FOR THE DEVELOPMENT OF THE MEMORIAL SQUARE WERE RAISED BY THE CAMPFIRE GIRLS OF NORWOOD IN THEIR QUEST FOR BEAUTY – APRIL 27, 1926”

error: Content is protected !!
%d bloggers like this:
search previous next tag category expand menu location phone mail time cart zoom edit close