Before a large congregation at the regular service of Divine Worship on Sunday morning, the United Church paid tribute to both the living and the dead of World War II
Speaking on behalf of the Church, the Rev. Edmund A. Miller officially welcomed the returned men and women of the armed forces. “We were sorry to sec you go; we missed you while you were away; but now we arc happy to welcome you back.” he said. With appropriate ceremony, the “Candle of Memory,” which has burned at all public services, was extinguished. The hope was expressed that never again would it be necessary to keep burning a candle for the same purpose. With the “Light of the World” spreading the Christian spirit to all parts of the world, the tragedies of war could be eliminated from the earth. An Honor Roll containing the names of all men and women from the Church and Church School was dedicated.
A beautiful bronze memorial plaque was unveiled on the north side of the sanctuary bearing the following inscription: “In memory of Inc sons of the United Church who made the supreme sacrifice in World War II: Arthur S. Blascnak. Edward R. Groh, John C. Winslow, Robert T. Winslow. ‘Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.”
Preaching on the theme: “Bridgehead to Peace,” Mr. Miller suggested “that we think of the war itself as merely establishing a beachhead on the road to peace — a costly but necessary beginning. We are now at the ‘bridgehead’ stage of operations — assembling the political, economic, and spiritual forces of the world to strengthen and extend the beachhead for a great offensive toward the total objective of world peace. To achieve this total victory, men. money and materials must be ‘expendable’ in the struggle for peace as in the time of war.” He concluded by indicating that expendability, or the willingness to sacrifice for worthwhile goals, has always been at the heart of the Christian religion.
Gold Star names on the church roll of honor and a brief biography of each follow:
ARTHUR F. BLASENAK, son of Mr. and Mrs. John F. Blasenak.. Born September 26. 1917. Was graduated from the Norwood High School. Was in training at the Wiggins’ Airport before his enlistment in the Army Air Corps on May 26, 1942. He trained at various bases in the United States before entering the European Theatre of war in 1943 with the rank of Staff Sergeant. He was reported “missing in action” following a bombing mission over Germany in May, 1943.
EDWARD R. GROH, son of Mr. and Geza Groh. Born April 29, 1920. Attended Norwood schools. Enlisted on June 29. 1942. Trained in Anti-aircraft, but was later transferred to Army Infantry. Was killed in action about twenty-three miles east of Metz, France, on April 14. 1945, and is buried in the United States Military Cemetery at Avoid.
JOHN C. WINSLOW, son of Mr. and Mrs. Elisha F. Winslow. Born on October 22, 1917. educated in the Norwood schools, graduating from High School in 1936. Following training at sea and the Franklin Union in Boston, he became an officer in the Merchant Marine in January, 1942. His ship, SS “Halo,” was sunk by two German submarines off New Orleans on May 20, 1942. John was among the thirty-eight men who lost their lives, out of a crew of forty-one.
ROBERT T. WINSLOW, son o£ Mr. and Mrs. Elisha F. Winslow. Born on January 20. 1921. attended Norwood schools, graduating from High School in 1938. After attending the Boston Trade Evening School, he joined the Merchant Marine, and was in India when war was declared. Returning to this country, he entered the Officers Training School at New London, graduating as Ensign in September, 1942. His ‘ship, “Bloody Marsh,” was sunk off the Carolina coast, on its maiden voyage, on July 1, 1943. Robert lost his life when a torpedo from a German submarine struck the engine room, where he was on duty.
Men and women of the church “who served in the armed forces during World War II include:
Norman R. Alden, F. Hunter Bagley, Jr., Louis C. Bagley. E. Mildred Belyea, Darryl W. Bennett, Bertil T. Berglund, Arthur F. Blasenak, James E. Blenkhorn, Herman W. Brown, Edward E. Burke, Fred A. Chapman, William A. Chapman, Isabel M. Clafl’y. William J. D’Espinosa, 1 Russell O. Diggs, John J, Donahue, Richard F. Donahue. John R. Donnell, Samuel W. Donnell. Allred W. Ellis, Allen H. Eppich, Walter B. Eppich, James E. Farmer. Russell S. Finbow, William D. Finbow, Harry E. Fraser, Robert M. Fredrich. Jr.
Also Edward V. Garner, Jack C. Garner, William T. Gordon, Donald T. Grow, Edward R. Groh, Francis B. Groh, George A. Groh, Richard W. Groh, Robert W. Groh, Elmer D. Hanscom, William F. Hanscom, Donald C. Ham¿Ln, Richard J. Harrison, Earl C. Hartshorn. James A. Hartshorn, Robert W. Hartshorn. Shirley K. Hoffman. Chester R. Johnson. Alfred F. Jones, Arthur D. Keizer, William E. Hersteller, Carlton L. Kings- ford, Leslie J. Lathem, Francis E. Law.
Also Howard J. Mauritz, Robert O. Morgner, Howard E. North. Harold C. Partridge, Jr., Clifton S. Pike, Leslie W, Pike, Robert C. Pike, Robert S. Plummer, Arthur R. Pvne, Everett W. Pyne, Ralph E. Pyne, Edmund H. Race, Harry C. Race, Clyde J. Rafuse, Franklin H. Rich, Robert M. Ritchey, Jean C. Robertson, Clarence E. Robinson, Donald E. Robinson, Kenneth C. Robinson, Richard W. Spear, John A. Tarule, Henry J. Tilton, Melvin J. White, Jr., John C. Winslow, Robert T. Winslow, Howard G. Zettler, William R. Zetller.
This Day in Norwood History-March 24, 1949-Norwood Man Buys His 28th Nash Automobile
William A. Donovan of Rock street, retired guard of the Dedham House of Correction, at a ceremony at Boch Sales & Service Garage on Route One recently, was presented the…
This Day in Norwood History-March 24, 1949-Sportsmen’s Association Leases Property For Clubhouse
At the annual Dutch Supper of the Norwood Sportsmen’s Association last Monday night Edward Thompson, chairman of the Building Committee announced that negotiations had been reached for the leasing of…
This Day In Norwood History-March 24, 1950-Macchi Expands Service Fleet
THE MACCHI FLEET lines up for prompt service to residents of Norwood and surrounding towns. Shown with fleet of trucks of the Appliance Sales & Service Center are (left to…
This Day In Norwood History-March 24, 1926-NORWOOD VOTES FOR PERMANENT FIRE CHIEF
NORWOOD, March 24 — At a special town meeting tonight In Everett Hall, from 7 to 8, it was voted to establish a permanent fire chief. As there is a…