May 31, 1891-As it is twenty-five years since the Association now known as the Norwood Brass Band was formed, it may be interesting to the friends of the Band to note some of the changes that have taken place during that time.
As it is twenty-five years since the Association now known as the Norwood Brass Band was formed, it may be interesting to the friends of the Band to note some of the changes that have taken place during that time.
The first meeting was held in the Engine House, South Dedham, May 25, 1S66, and the Constitution and By-Laws, previously prepared, were adopted and the following olliccrs chosen to serve the ensuing years Leader, Win. P Fairbanks; Director, Geo. W. Lewîs; Clerk and Treas., Henry R. Jenks.
The association was known as the South Dedham Musical Association and consisted of the following members: W. P. Fairbanks, Geo. W. Lewis, W. H. Gay, A. G. Webb, John Courtney, Chas. W, Blenus, Chas. E. Pond, H R. Jenks, Geo. O. Capen, Geo. H. Morse, H. F. Shattuck, Stephen Hoyle, H. R. Ellis, M. I. Ellis, B F. Colburn, Geo P. Fairbanks, L. K. Smith, J G. Fairbanks, H. R. Jenks withdrew from the association Sept, 13 on account of removal from town, and Chas. E. Pond was elected in his place.
The first ball was given in Dec. 1866. At this time there was interest enough among the members to give two evenings a week for practice. M. M. Alden was made a member this year The second ball was given Thanksgiving night, 1867, the association giving a concert during the evening.
On March 11, 1868 name of the Musical Association was changed to Union Cornet Band.
F. D. Colburn and H W. Billings became members May 2, 186S. At this time an assessment of 25 cents. per month was levied on each member. Early in June. Professor Alonzo Bond was engaged as teacher.
July 4th, 1868. a concert complimentary to. J. E. and C. L. Smith was given on the Reservoir, and in the evening they played at East Walpole.
Then as now the Band was active, and filled many engagements both in and out of town during the political campaign of ’68. Sept, 11, 1868, they played at Cattle Show, Dedham, and then going to Canton, played for a political meeting in the evening. Also played at the dedication of Memorial Hall, Dedham. this month the first uniform was purchased, and cost $:5o per suit.
F. D. Draper became a member Feb 7, 1869. For five consecutive years, the Band played in Boston St Patrick’s Day.
May 6, 1871, Geo. K Draper, Isaac Colburn, Jr , and W. A Williamson became members, and J. F. Colburn was made Director. This year, from July 1st to Oct. 1st, an open-air concert was given each week. On October 5, P. F. Colburn withdrew from the Band.
Feb. 24, 1872, the name was again changed, and we have the Norwood Brass Band.
(All articles were originally published in the Norwood Messenger unless otherwise noted)