Fatally Stricken From Smoke Inhaled at Dwelling Blaze

NORWOOD. Jan. 1—Stricken suddenly from smoke inhaled at a fire a short time previously. Ladderman John F. Lydon, 41, of 38 Press av., a member of the local fire department, died early today at the controls of a ladder truck as he was driving back to the firehouse.

A possible accident was averted by the quick thinking of Ladderman Eugene Charron, who climbed the length of the truck from the rear and seized the controls, bringing the vehicle to a halt as it approached an occupied house after jumping over a curbstone at Mountain av. and Adams st.

Lydon, a member of the department for the past 12 years, was taken to the Norwood Hospital but was dead on arrival. Although he failed to complain to other firemen about being ill at the fire, a small house blaze on Hill st., authorities said that he must have inhaled a large amount of smoke.

Funeral services will be held Saturday morning at St. Catherine’s Church. He is survived by a wife, Mary, and two children.

Fri, Jan 2, 1942 – 4 · The Boston Globe (Boston, Massachusetts)