He Was President of Ink Company Until 1929
Dec 13, 1932—George H. Morrill, for many years president and director of the George H. Morrill Company, manufacturers of printers’ Ink, now a subsidiary of the General Printing Ink Corporation of New York, died at 3:20 this morning at his home, the Pines, 84 Bond st.
Mr Morrill, who retired from active business in 1929, had been in failing health for the last two years, although his last sickness was only of about two months.
Mr Morrill was nationally known among manufacturers of printers ink and was for a half-century connected with the company which was founded by his grandfather, Samuel Morrill, in 1845.
Mr. Morrill was born at Woburn, Oct 1, 1855, the son of George H. Morrill and Sarah Bond (Tidd) Morrill. He was educated at the Allen School in Newton and at the English and Classical High School, West Newton, and entered the factory of his father’s ink business in Norwood when he was 18. He learned the various stages of the ink business and eventually became head of the company which has a reputation far and wide among those who use printers’ ink. In April 1929, the George H. Morrill Company became a division of the General Printing Ink Corporation of New York, continuing to maintain an office in this city at 168 Purchase st. and also the large manufacturing plant at Norwood.
The Morrill Company built up a national reputation, and its business extended to every part of the country. The company manufactured every kind of ink, including the finest and most expensive colors for high-class illustrative and lithographic work. Many years ago the company established plants in Norwood, New York, and San Francisco, in addition to the Boston office. Mr. Morrill early in life became well known to the printing fraternity and to the dealers in printers’ supplies.
Campus Grew Rapidly
The Morrill Company’s first plant was in Andover, in 1845, and in succeeding years the company extended its operations. In 1856 Samuel Morrill removed the company to South Dedham, and his sons, George H. Morrill and Samuel S. Morrill became partners. From time to time the company opened new branches and its distribution spread all over the United States and into Canada.
In 1869 the old firm was succeeded by the George H. Morrill Company, which continued until 1903, when the George H Morrill Company, Inc, was formed. George H. Morrill, who died today, became a member of the firm in 1888.
The company made an exhaustive study of all kinds of printers’ ink, especially those used for newspaper print, and many years ago manufactured inks that met the approval of discriminating newspaper publishers.
Early Auto Enthusiast
Mr. Morrill was one of the first automobile enthusiasts in this section of the country. He bought his first automobile in 1892 and continued his interest in the growth of the auto motor industry, being a master of the motor car in the pioneer days of the automobile. In 1892 he bought a gasoline car in the West, and that car was said to have been the first automobile to appear on the streets of Boston driven by a private individual. It was shown that year at the Brockton Fair.
Within a few years, Mr. Morrill was the owner of four high-powered cars of that day. He owned a touring car, a steam car, a high-powered gasoline runabout, and a 25-horsepowered car.
His home, the Pines, was built of fieldstone and occupied a commanding site on one of the many hills. It was of Dutch architecture of the 18th century and, being strikingly picturesque, attracted wide attention.
Mr. Morrill was a 32d-degree Mason. He was a member of Orient Lodge, A. F. & A. M.; was a Royal Arch Mason, a member of Boston Commandery, K. T.; Aleppo Temple, Mystic Shrine, the Ancient and Honorable Artillery and the Massachusetts Automobile Club.
He is survived by his wife, Mrs. Mary E. Morrill, and one son, Leon G. Morrill, who is connected with the George H. Morrill Company in New York.
The funeral will take place Thursday afternoon, with services at the Morrill home in Norwood.
Tue, Dec 13, 1932 – 1 · The Boston Globe (Boston, Massachusetts)
This Day in Norwood History-May 30, 1950-Ponder Question Of Land For School Purposes
The School Committee and the Planning Board following two conferences on the matter of location of possible school sites, visited the are in the vicinity of the corner of Dean…
This Day In Norwood History-May 30, 1922-Ora Holman, 91, Helped Hunt Down John Wilkes Booth
May 30, 1922-Ora Holman, 183 Walpole st, is the oldest Civil War veteran, having passed his 91st birthday. He enlisted in the 2d New Hampshire Cavalry, and is a member…
This Day in Norwood History-May 30, 1903-Woman’s Club Petions For Use of High School Assembly Room
RATHER FAVORS IT. Public Opinion Is Inclined to, Take Sides With the Woman’s Club In An Important Petition. An interesting hearing, involving some equally interesting questions of public policy, was…
This Day in Norwood History-May 30, 1957-Thrills Promised By Christiani Brothers’ Circus At Elks’ Field
Corky Cristiani Corky Cristiani, 21, and pretty famous equestrienne with the Cristiani Bros. Circus like nearly all on the list of performers, has inherited her strength and skill, and daring.…