(Sort and images from the Norwood Fired Department Facebook Page:)

Yesterday evening just before 6:30 Group 3 Firefighters were dispatched to 50 Central Street for a report of smoke in the building.

NC2 arrived on scene less than 2 minutes later and the shift commander Captain Chris Campillio reported smoke showing with fire through the roof of a 1-story commercial building and ordered a working fire bringing a Westwood Engine to the scene and Walpole Engine to provide station coverage. Engine 3 and Ladder 1 with the Westwood engine made their way to the roof while Squad 2, NA-2, and NA-3 worked to access the fire from below.

Crews found that the fire had quickly spread across the roof line and several renovations over the years had made accessing the fire difficult. A 2nd Alarm was ordered bringing a Walpole, Sharon, and Norfolk Engine as well as a Canton Ladder to the Fire to relieve fatigued first-alarm firefighters. Subsequently, a 3rd alarm was struck bringing a Stoughton, Needham, Foxboro Engine, and Dedham Ladder to the Fire. All companies worked for over 2 hours to bring the fire under control and prevent extension to the neighboring occupancies.

There were no injuries to any firefighters or civilians. There is no estimated damage total at this time. Norwood Fire investigators are currently working to determine a cause.

On behalf of the Norwood Fire Department, we would like to thank our outstanding mutual aid partners for both their help at the fire and the Avon, Easton, Dover, and Mansfield crews who provided station coverage. We would also like to thank The Providence Canteen for providing rehab services to the firefighters on the scene. Finally, we would like to thank members of the community who brought water, Gatorade, and cold towels to firefighters contending with the high temperatures.

Related:  This Day in Norwood History-April 15, 1938-Ground Broken Yesterday For New Emmanuel Lutheran Church

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.