VET’S FAMILY SEEKS HOME—Mrs. Mary Grow and her three children Kathleen, 2 Maurine two weeks old, and Albert, are shown at the Norwood V F W Headquarters where they have been making their home for the past 18 months. Forced by a court order to vacate, they hope to obtain an apartment within two weeks (McLean Photo)

All order to vacate within two weeks or face a jail sentence for contempt of court was handed down in Dedham District Court Saturday by Judge Gilbert U Cox to Donald Grow, 27 wounded Manne veteran who has made his home with his wife and three mung children in the VFW Headquarters on Railroad avenue for the past 19 months.

The family were offered quarters in the veteran« post building by former commander John “Tris” Ferney after they had been evicted from a Norwood apartment. The present adjutant Robert Browning told the court Saturday that the invitation extended until the family found new living quarters and that post officers had discovered several places for the Grows. In remarking on Browning’s testimony Grow later said that the VFW officials had found possible homes for him and his family, but that rents were prohibitively high- He receives a government pension of $13.80 a month for partial disability, in addition to his earnings as a taxi driver and occasional work as a musician.

In the court testimony, Browning said that ten months ago the newly – elected Commander Edmund Paduck called a meeting of the post and it was decided to ask the family to leave Browning said that the Grows refused although the V.FW. offered to pay moving costs. It was also stated that since the family moved in, the V.FW. has paid $270 for extra care of the property and $725 for the installation of a new boiler on the premises.

Since the family moved to the veterans organization premises, their two youngest children have been born. Albert is one year old and Maureen is two weeks old. Their oldest child, Kathleen, is two years of age.

In his decision on the matter, Judge Cox said Saturday that Grow had violated common hospitality and gave him two weeks to change his residence. It was reported later that the family had been given an opportunity to move into a home on Veterans Road but that it is not expected to be vacant until the middle of September.

THIS DAY IN NORWOOD HISTORY

Dean Street Elderly Housing Project Refiled Under Chapter 40B as Board Seeks Attorney General Zoning Ruling-August 23, 1977

Dean Street Elderly Housing Project Refiled Under Chapter 40B as Board Seeks Attorney General Zoning Ruling-August 23, 1977

georgenhs Aug 20, 2026 5 min read

Developer Richard Vazza refiles his $2 million Dean Street elderly housing complex under Massachusetts Chapter 40B anti-snob zoning laws. The Norwood Appeals Board seeks an emergency ruling from the state attorney general to clarify conflicting zoning use variance powers.

Norwood Scrapbook-August 3

Norwood Scrapbook-August 3

georgenhs Aug 3, 2026 14 min read

A comprehensive daily compilation of historical news from Norwood, Massachusetts on August 3. Featuring stories of town planning, public safety efforts, regional transportation, local achievements, and community concert traditions.

Traffic Concerns Stall Zoning Board Hearing on Proposed Caldor Shopping Center on Route 1-July 30, 1980

Traffic Concerns Stall Zoning Board Hearing on Proposed Caldor Shopping Center on Route 1-July 30, 1980

georgenhs Jul 30, 2026 3 min read

A zoning board hearing for the proposed $3 million Caldor shopping center on Route 1 was continued to August 19 as developers Bronson & Hutensky worked to finalize safe traffic access through Park Place Industrial Park.

Library Throws Book at Woman in Norwood-July 27, 1984

Library Throws Book at Woman in Norwood-July 27, 1984

georgenhs Jul 26, 2026 4 min read

Susan Andrews became the first person arrested in Norwood for failing to return overdue books to the Morrill Memorial Library.

Appeals Board Postpones Decision On Norwood Golf Course Proposal-July 26, 1973

Appeals Board Postpones Decision On Norwood Golf Course Proposal-July 26, 1973

georgenhs Jul 26, 2026 3 min read

The Norwood appeals board postponed a decision on developer Frank R. Simoni’s proposed 97-acre golf course near Access Road, requesting a certified site plan.


Discover more from Norwood Historical Society

Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.