Tyot (or “Tiot”) Was the Indian Name for the Territory Which Became Norwood, Massachusetts.
It Meant “Place-Surrounded-by-Waters”
The following sketches, originally printed in the Norwood Messenger, embody much of the information gathered in an Emergency Relief Administration project conducted in and by the town of Norwood, Mass, from August 1934 to August 1935. The project was a Historical Survey of the town’s history. For the reasons given below, it was thought wise to use the facts thus gained in newspaper articles such as the following, rather than to present them in formal and more statistical reports:
First; Because Norwood has no printed and published volume of its history, covering all phases of its history. Whatever has been written about the town is widely scattered in old newspapers, official reports, pamphlets, and other sources. While much of its history has never been printed but is in the minds and memories of elderly people.
It was therefore first imperative for such research as the ERA officials had in mind to begin to collect and collate in some general way whatever information could be secured. The first steps must be by a sort of trial and error plan since much of the data was almost forgotten. Having secured and authenticated it as much as possible, it was thought it would be easier to extend it at some later date, perhaps, into a more concise and formal history of the town of Norwood.
The matter contained in this book, therefore, can only be considered as “source material” and not as a complete history. There are some unavoidable errors, which have been corrected in certain cases. On the whole, the author feels that future historians can use this book for source purposes with considerable confidence. Dates, of course, should be carefully checked. Corrections made in ink are O. K.
The second reason for these newspaper sketches was to awaken the latent interest of the townspeople in this project and enlist their cooperation in getting facts and needed material. Without such public cooperation such ‘ a project was foredoomed to failure under the conditions existing in Norwood. The undersigned Connoisseur of Historical Data, who conducted the research, is glad to stale that these little stories have admirably served the purpose for which they were designed. The Norwood public, as well as former citizens all over the country, were aroused to deep interest. They have brought the undersigned more help, information, and friendly enthusiasm than he can well express in this space. Old friendships have been renewed and new ones made. His gratitude is deep, for he realizes that this public interest has been largely responsible for whatever success this project has attained.
The undersigned, therefore, offers this collection of data to the Commonwealth of Massachusetts with the hope that it may be of some ^assistance to future historians. He also offers it to the town of Norwood for the same purpose and has caused two duplicate copies of this book to be made. One will be cataloged in the Morrill Memorial Library of Norwood for public use. The other will be placed in the library of the
Connoisseur of Historical Data
Norwood Historical Society.
Project Number; X20223F2—U2
Identification Number; 39 7
Dated at Norwood. Massachusetts-
August 28. 1935
This Day in Norwood History-February 12, 1935-Tales of Tyot-Colonial School Masters of Tiot
The Trail of Norwood’s School System from 1738 to the Revolution By WIN EVERETT Eight years after the original Proprietors of Dedham pushed their canoes ashore on the bank of…
Tales of Tyot-THE CHRISTMAS HEART OF TIOT
o—0—o Hanging A Holly Wreath Of Memories Around Tiot’s Village Hall And Square. A Merry Christmas At “The Hook” To Old And New Timers From Author In the summer of…
Tales of Tyot- Win Everett Gets Letters
Old Residents Give Their Versions Of Incidents In His Stories The following interesting letter comes to Win Everett from Mr. James R. Vance. Also some pertinent comments from Miss Sarah…
Tales of Tyot-The South Church In Dedham
Dr. Fogg Tells About First Church Erected In What Is Now Norwood The first finished church was located corner of Walpole and Winter Sts, South Dedham. The church was finished…