This Day in Norwood History- September 22, 1938-First Baptist Church Steeple Blown Off by Hurricane of '38
Paul Ellis' tavern, situated on the Norfolk and Bristol Turnpike between Boston to Providence (now Washington st), brought stagecoach passengers and their drivers to his door and tap room regularly. A large hook on a post in front of the tavern allowed drivers to throw their reigns over easily when they arrived and also became an easy place to hang mail or other articles without needing to stop, saving the drivers time. Soon, drivers started calling the tavern "The Hook" and before long the nickname was applied to the area around Norwood's present Town Square. This article goes into more detail about the history of the Tavern and mentions some of the events that occurred there, including a gruesome murder/suicide (which will be the subject of an article on this page a few days from now) and a visit from a US President. The structure was known by many names over the years, including "Ellis' Tavern", "Hartshorn's Tavern", "The South Dedham Inn", "Norwood House" and "The Norwood Hotel". The Tavern was moved on #thisdayinnorwoodhistory in 1913 to the intersection of Nahatan st and Broadway, approximately where Santander Bank is today. The construction of the George T Lee Bridge and the extension of Nahatan st under the railroad tracks wouldn't happen until 1935, over 20 years later.
This is the first article in a new series, "Origin of Norwood Names", where we will attempt to determine the story behind the naming of different places, buildings, and streets in Norwood. If you know the origin of a name in Norwood, please send us the information at firstname.lastname@example.org.
A postcard showing the Norwood House The current Town Square, or Common, was envisioned by George Willet to be a central business district framed by the Town Hall and the … Continue reading The Town Square
Norwood's town square was once known locally as"The Hook". The name came from the iron hook that hung in front of Paul Ellis' tavern, shown here on the left. Norwood … Continue reading This Day in Norwood History-February 6, 1903-Norwood Business Association Votes On Names For Norwood Square
A 1858 map of Christian Hill, shows that Nahatan Street has become well settled, but the Christian Hill neighborhood is just beginning to be developed. Over its first thirty years, … Continue reading Builders and Developers of Christian Hill
Portion of an 1852 map showing the undeveloped area of Christian Hill (Source: N. Smith & H.F. Walling "Map of the Town of Dedham, 1852) When Norwood was established in … Continue reading Christian Hill: An Architectural Study
FIRE FIGHTER 50 YEARS. Began as Boy During Civil War. H. FRANK WALKER. NORWOOD. Jan 8 — H. Frank Walker, who has retired from the Norwood Fire Department after a … Continue reading This Day In Norwood History-January 8, 1916-H. Frank Walker Retires From Norwood Board of Engineers
o—0—o Hanging A Holly Wreath Of Memories Around Tiot’s Village Hall And Square. A Merry Christmas At "The Hook" To Old And New Timers From Author In the summer of … Continue reading Tales of Tyot-THE CHRISTMAS HEART OF TIOT
On September 21, 1938 New England was struck hard with the Hurricane of '38, also known as the New England Hurricane of 1938. The Hurricane was expected to hit Florida … Continue reading This Day in Norwood History- September 22, 1938-First Baptist Church Steeple Blown Off by Hurricane of ’38