Ora Holman, later Prosperous Business Man, Celebrates With Wife at Norwood Golden Wedding.


Mr. and Mrs. Ora Holman celebrated their golden wedding by a reception yesterday from 2 till 10 o’clock p m at their home on Fisher St.

Mr and Mrs Holman were married in Boston, Sept 20. 1857, and have had eight children, six of whom are living. Policeman Thomas F. Holman is one.

Mrs. Holman was Miss Harriet Lincoln Gilman, daughter of Mitchell L. Gilman, a Boston sailmaker, and was born on Moon st. They were married by Rev. Phineas Stowe, a Baptist clergyman.

Mr. Holman was born in Fitzwilliam, N H, and came to Boston first in 1848 when 17 years of age. He worked as teamster for Ezra Forrestall and for Wright, Page & Co. After a few years he returned to New Hampshire, but the day after he was 21 he started for Boston with $2.50, of which he paid $2.40 for carfare, landing in the Hub with 10 cents. He worked as a teamster for Piper & Brigham, and handled all the sand and lime used in the construction of the Boston theatre, Chickering piano factory and other buildings.

Returning to Fitzwilliam. Mr Holman engaged in the lumber business, and when the civil war broke out lie had 40 men in his employ and many fine horses. He enlisted in Co A. 1st New Hampshire cavalry, and was given but eight days to dispose of his extensive business, compelling him to sell at a great sacrifice. He was mustered out at Clouds Mills, Va, in July, 1865. At the time of President Lincoln’s assassination, Mr . Holman rode with other troopers 150 miles in search of John Wilkes Booth, though they did not know then what for.

Related:  This Day in Norwood History-June 9, 1950-Guild Theater Creates Ad For Orson Welles Film

After the war he worked in a stone quarry in New Hampshire for a while, then came to Boston and engaged in the paper stock business, arriving in the city the day Jim Fiske was shot. He conducted this business successfully for 15 years on Bedford St. Charlestown, when he had the misfortune to be burned out, losing $10,000 with no insurance. Afterwards he remained in Charlestown five years, working for his son Thomas, who was in business.

He belongs to the Barnicoat fire association. He is probably the oldest living Boston teamster. He has been identified with the Grand Army for some time and was commander of the post in Charlestown for five years. He is now a member of George K. Bird post of Norwood. He is a republican in politics, and is engaged in farming. Mr and Mrs Holman have a large circle of friends in Norwood.

At the reception a large number called to congratulate the kindly old couple on their “golden days.’’ There were many beautiful gifts, showing the esteem and affection in which they are held. The grounds were lighted with Japanese lanterns and the house was tastily trimmed with bunting and flowers. A collation was served, and it proved a most delightful time for Mr. and Mrs. Holman and their guests.

Sat, Sep 21, 1907 – 11 · The Boston Globe (Boston, Massachusetts)