The grand dedication of Norwood’s new Civic Recreation Center—housed in the former National Guard armory building—has been officially scheduled for September 22 at 10:00 a.m., according to Selectmen Chairman Walter J. Dempsey.

Special guests of honor for the ribbon-cutting ceremony will include former Governor Edward J. King, who famously sold the armory property to the town for one dollar during his term, and the widow of former Governor Frank G. Allen. A Norwood native who served as selectman from 1915 to 1924 before advancing to the state Senate, Allen originally championed the construction of the armory during his tenure as governor. As Dempsey noted, “They’re both part of the reason we now have the recreation center.” (Note: Town officials confirmed that the town has not yet formally paid the state its symbolic dollar, and they are currently searching for the original screws to re-affix the building’s original plaque bearing Allen’s name, which was recently returned by a National Guard unit after being removed).

Ceremony Details and Distinguished Speakers

Open to all town residents, the festivities will feature a lineup of prominent guest speakers, including Secretary of Public Safety Charles V. Barry, local legislators, and town officials. Organizers are also coordinating with the high school marching band to perform. To accommodate the expected crowds, the section of Nahatan Street between Broadway and Central Street will be closed to traffic during the ceremony.

While the celebration is weeks away, finishing touches are still underway inside. Dempsey noted that while the basketball gymnasium floors are currently being sanded and coated in hopes of being ready by the dedication date, other recreational facilities may still be under construction.

Additionally, the civic center will house local state offices: the Registry of Motor Vehicles (RMV) branch located within the building will be separately dedicated earlier on September 6 at 10:30 a.m., with Registrar Alan Mackey presiding. Invitations for the main civic center dedication will be extended to all residents who served as town meeting members when the initial funding was appropriated.

Archival Note: This article has been dynamically reconstructed from the original public record print archives of the Patriot Ledger

More…

  • Few Incidents Harmful To Willett Beach Reputation-This Day in Norwood History-July 18, 1957

    Operations at the beach remain safe and improved, featuring professional security, lifeguards, and upgraded facilities for the benefit of local residents.

  • ‘Golden Age’ Program Gets Underway With 30 On Hand-This Day in Norwood History-March 5, 1953

    The Norwood Recreation Department program of leisure time activity for so-called “Golden Age” citizens of the Town got underway last week at the Civic Building with approximately 30 men on hand for the opening meeting, which was held on Thursday afternoon at 2-00 p.m. Recreation Superintendent Richard E. Ready greeted those in attendance at this…

  • To Conduct Swimming Lessons at Hawes-This Day in Norwood History-June 13, 1950

    Summer is just around the corner, and Norwood is getting ready to beat the heat! The Recreation Department has announced a complete summer swimming program at Hawes Brook Pool, but eager residents have only a strict two-day window to secure their spots.

  • ‘Bugs’ Eliminated From New Hawes Brook Pool-This Day in Norwood History-July 14, 1949

    This Day in Norwood History-July 14, 1949-‘Bugs’ Eliminated From New Hawes Brook Pool

  • Launch New Raft At Willett Pond-This Day In Norwood History-July 27, 1945

    Community leaders gathered for the official launching of a new diving raft at Willett Pond, sponsored by the Women’s Community Committee and the Norwood Lions Club.

  • Recreation is Everybody’s Baby-This Day In Norwood History-November 10, 1944

    Editorial- It is this column’s conviction, as stated on several occasions previously, that one of the first functions of the town’s recreation program should be coordination. The repetition of the point of view is prompted by the fact that remarks made at last week’s selectmen’s meeting indicate that some members of that board are not…

  • $25,000 Fire at Roll Land in Norwood-This Day In Norwood History-June 9, 1942

    In the early hours of June 9, 1942, a fierce three‑alarm blaze tore through Roll‑land, the popular combination roller skating rink and bowling alley located along the Boston–Providence Highway. The fire, described as stubborn and fast‑moving, raged for more than three hours and caused an estimated $25,000 in damage — a significant loss for wartime…

  • Huge Pageant By Playgrounds On Founder’s Day-July 26, 1938

    This Day In Norwood History-July 26, 1938-Huge Pageant By Playgrounds On Founder’s Day


Discover more from Norwood Historical Society

Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.