Bishop Lawrence Officiates, Giving an Address.
English Half-Timbered Style to Be Used.


NORWOOD, Oct 2—The cornerstone of Grace Episcopal church, Norwood, was laid this afternoon with services in charge of the rector, Rev Charles Hastings Brown.

About 3000 people gathered in the square at the corner of Washington and Walpole Sts to observe the ceremonies.

Among the clergy present were Rt. Rev William Lawrence, bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of Massachusetts; Rev Albert E. George of Wellesley, the founder and first rector of Grace Episcopal mission in Norwood; Rev William Grainger of Trinity church, Canton: Rev Charles Jackson of St John’s Church, East Boston, and Rev J. A. Thompson of Epiphany church, Walpole.

At 4:30, headed by the vested choir of Grace church, Mrs. G. A. Uphill leader, a procession of clergy marched from the residence of Rev George W. Nead to the site of the church. The order of ceremonies was: Opening service, Rev Mr. Grainger; hymn; lesson, Rev Mr. Jackson; hymn; description of articles placed in a box in the cornerstone, Rev Mr. Brown; laying of the cornerstone, with address, Bishop Lawrence; address. Bishop Lawrence; address, Rev Albert E. George; closing, Bishop Lawrence; recessional by choir.

The articles in the box are a copy of the last town report, a list of taxable males in Norwood, a journal of a convention diocese of Massachusetts, copies of Irving church annual, Churchman, Church Militant and Norwood Messenger, portraits of the past rector, present rector and other clergy, pictures of town’s autographs of many people interested and histories of the parish.

Related:  This Day In Norwood History-August 3, 1945-Veteran of Three Services, Andrew J. Hewitt, Managing Guild Theatre

King’s Daughters and Woman’s Guild.

When the church edifice is done it will be in the English half-timbered style, with wooden battens, plastered panels, and stone underpinning. The auditorium will seat 300 and there will be a spacious chancel for the choir, sanctuary, and space for the organ. Adjoining will be a robing room for the rector and a small sacristy for the altar hangings. Beneath will be the Sunday school room, choir room, and heating apparatus. The interior of the church will be finished simply with plastered walls, an open-timbered room, and trusses of wood with a handwork finish. The chancel will have a high wood dado, plastered walls, a large window for memorial purposes, an altar, and the usual appointments.

October 2, 1910