After fifty years of serving the local community, Brenner’s Children’s Shop, located at 694 Washington St has officially closed its doors for good.
Owners Aron and Martha Greenfieldot provided school uniforms, scout attire, and formal children’s clothing across three generations and also made a lasting impact on the community.
Aron, a Polish Jew, had a difficult early life marked by discrimination, beginning during his childhood when he was one of only seven Jewish students in a predominantly Catholic school in Poland. Despite being a stellar student who was adept at four languages, Aron faced bullying from his Catholic peers, leading to him dropping out after the fifth grade.
Life got even harder after the Nazis invaded his hometown in 1939. He narrowly avoided being sent to Auschwitz at age 15 because he lied about his age, stepping into the line for boys 16 and above after being prompted by his mother.
Aron survived nine concentration camps during World War II. One of his sisters also survived, but his parents and seven other seven siblings were all killed before the end of the war, with his brothers being killed just the day before liberation day.
These survival instincts, honed during the war, later contributed to his success as a businessman and despite facing violence and hatred due to his religion, Aron’s experiences fueled his determination to share his story, educating younger generations. He recently visited St. Catherine of Siena School to inspire students.
Following the war, Aron moved to Mattapan, a predominantly Jewish community at the time. He learned English, worked in a meat company, and later started a side business selling watches. His life later took a dangerous turn when he was shot in the stomach during a robbery.
A turning point came when he met his future wife, Martha, at a dance. They moved to Norwood, where Aron seized an opportunity to acquire Brenner’s Children’s Shop for $200 in 1973, marking the beginning of their 50-year venture.
The Greenfields have been pillars of the community, offering everything from scout uniforms to school attire and formal children’s wear. Aron attributes their success to Martha, humorously acknowledging her as “the boss.”
The couple plans to retire to Maryland and spend time with their daughter’s family and three grandchildren.
Numerous community members expressed gratitude and bid farewell to the Greenfields. Aron’s inspirational life story, shared with local children, serves as a poignant reminder of the past’s mistakes and the importance of learning from them.
The Greenfields announced the closing in July of 2022 and spent the last few months selling their remaining inventory. Today, Martha removed the first dollar they ever made from the wall, and locked the front door for the final time, marking the end of this chapter in their lives.
Archival Note: This article has been dynamically reconstructed from the original public record print archives of the Transcript Bulletin/Wicked Local
-
From Gilded Age Roots to Modern Restoration: The Story of Oakview Mansion

Set high on a rise along Walpole Street, Oakview Mansion stands as a monument to Norwood’s industrial prosperity and architectural elegance. Originally built in 1868 for tanning heir Francis Olney Winslow, this Second Empire landmark later served as the “Executive Mansion” for Massachusetts Governor Frank Allen. From hosting world-renowned figures like Sergei Rachmaninoff and Calvin…
-
Brenner’s Children’s Shop Closes After 50 Years-February 1, 2023

After fifty years of serving the local community, Brenner’s Children’s Shop, located at 694 Washington St has officially closed its doors for good. Owners Aron and Martha Greenfieldot provided school uniforms, scout attire, and formal children’s clothing across three generations and also made a lasting impact on the community. Aron, a Polish Jew, had a…
-
1000 Year Storm Hits Norwood, Massive Flooding, Hospital Evacuated-June 28, 2020

A historic “back building” thunderstorm on June 28, 2020, dropped over four inches of rain on Norwood in ninety minutes, causing catastrophic flooding that completely knocked out power at Norwood Hospital and forced an emergency evacuation.
-
Norwood Sport Center

Frank Sherwood opened the Norwood Sport Center on October 3, 1940. Modeled after the “Belgian Building” featured in the 1939 World’s Fair, it cost $50,000 to build, a sizable sum at the end of the Great Depression. According to their website the Norwood Sport Center was the first building built as a candlepin bowling alley…
-
Babel’s- Pinch Me… This Can’t Be a Paint Store! (1996)

The transformation of Babel’s from a small wallpaper store in the 1950’s to the full-service, full-scale decorating center it is today accelerated dramatically over the past four years. In the midst of New England’s recession, Victor Babel, the second-generation owner, had a vision of what his retail store should look like, and expanded the building,…
-
End of the Line For Kline’s Department Store-November 14, 1994

NORWOOD – The racks in Kline’s basement children’s clothing section were bare. Beneath the knotty pine wall panels in the men’s department, bargain hunters strolled along the thin carpets and linoleum floors one morning last week and picked over piles of jeans. Manager Marilyn Wolfson, who first started working in the 81-year-old Norwood Center landmark…
-
Butters Family Sells Pharmacy-July 20, 1990

A significant chapter in the history of South Norwood business and family legacy came to an end on July 20, 1990. The Butters family pharmacy, a staple in the community for over four decades, ceased operations after Helen Butters, the selectman’s mother and president of the family business, decided to sell the pharmaceutical stock and…
-
Work to Start on New USA Today Plant-July 26, 1986

The summer of 1986 was a time of great change and innovation in the world of journalism. On this day, July 26th, The Patriot Ledger reported that Gannett Co. Inc. would begin converting a vacant warehouse on University Avenue into a $10 million production plant for printing and distributing USA Today in New England. This…
-
Kline’s Department Store Marks Ten Years in Downtown Norwood-July 11, 1983

Kline’s Department Store Celebrates a Decade in Norwood On July 11, 1983, Kline’s Department Store marked a significant milestone, celebrating ten successful years of operation in downtown Norwood. ⠀ When the 25-store retail chain first moved into the building formerly occupied by the Park Snow store, local observers were initially skeptical. At the time, the…
Discover more from Norwood Historical Society
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.












