This Day in Norwood History- August 5, 1944-Navy Plane Crashes In Norwood

Poet Coffin’s Son Parachutes to Safety in

Sun, Aug 6, 1944 – 15 · The Boston Globe (Boston, Massachusetts) · Newspapers.com

NORWOOD. Aug. 5—A Navy fighter plane which exploded after developing trouble in its oil line and crashed a few yards beyond Winslow where 200 children were playing at noon today, was piloted by Ens son of the famous poet. . 1st Naval District officers announced tonight.

Ens Coffin bailed out and parachuted to safety in a yard on st., but Mrs. , 115 ., sustained a possible shoulder fracture when the plane knocked the chimney off her house and caused her to fall down stairs. The flyer was treated at for minor injuries.

in the plane showered the area with burning bits of wreckage and machine-gun bullets. Naval officials said Ens Coffin was on a routine operational flight from . The flyers home is at 44 Hartswell st., Brunswick, Me.

Navy at Norwood Sets Houses and Grass on Fire

NORWOOD. Aug. 5—Fire in a naval plane from Squantum in mid-air over this town this noon, caused an explosion which disintegrated the plane, showering the area with wreckage and live ammunition. The pilot, whose name was not immediately given out by naval authorities, bailed out and parachuted to safety, but Mrs. Mary Rombola, 115 st., fell down a flight of stairs when the damaged plane took the chimney off her house, and was hospitalized for a questionable fracture of the shoulder.

Firemen, called on a triple alarm, fought blazes kindled in the homes of , 114 Chapel st.; , 115 Chapel st , and Mrs. , 219 Winslow av., as well as a number of grass fires set by blazing wreckage or gasoline.

Selectman appealed to citizens and youngster who scrambled to collect ammunition as ‘‘souvenirs” to turn it in to the police as it was “live ammunition” which might cause casualties.

The plane missed by a few rods falling into the . where more than 200 children were collected. The scene, close to the of Ex-Gov. , was quickly filled by a large crowd attracted by the crash and fire apparatus, ambulances and police.

The pilot landed in an open field and was taken to Norwood Hospital, but his injuries included only lacerations of face and legs. Naval authorities began an investigation of the .

Related Posts

error: Content is protected !!
%d bloggers like this:
search previous next tag category expand menu location phone mail time cart zoom edit close