Many Priests Attend the Ceremony at St Catherine’s Catholic Church at Norwood.
AS THE NEW CATHOLIC CHURCH AT NORWOOD WILL LOOK WHEN COMPLETED.
NORWOOD, April 25, 1909—The corner stone of St Catherine’s Catholic church was laid this afternoon by Bishop John J. Brady of Boston.
The services were held largely within the walls of the partially completed church, which was nearly filled by about 1800 people. At least 2000 were on the lawns and sidewalks. Platforms were erected for the use of the clergy, invited guests and singers, which latter numbered about 125, from Boston and Norwood and vicinity. The music was under the direction of James T. Whelan, organist of the cathedral in Boston, and the singers were accompanied by an organ and orchestra.
The procession entered to the music of “Unfold, le Portals,” from Gounod’a “Redemption.” “The Hymn to the Pope” was sung during the service, and after the sermon Eichberg’s “To Thee, O Country,” and the “Te Deum” were rendered.
The ceremony of laying the corner stone began with the blessing of the site of the altar in the new church. A large plain wooden cross was erected, at the foot of which the exercises commenced. The venerable bishop and some 45 attendant clergymen marched through the church, and arriving at the corner stone bestowed their blessing upon it. The stone is placed at the right en- I trance of the church. It is a large block of Indiana limestone, on the face of which is engraved a cross and shield, with the date “1909” in ornamental characters. In the stone was deposited a box containing the records of the church, the names of the reigning pope, the archbishop, the President of the United States, the governor of the state and the selectmen of Norwood, together with current coins and copies of the diocesan and local papers.
After the blessing of the corner stone the bishop and priests marched about the church, blessing its walls.
The sermon his delivered by Rt Rev Mgr Denis O’Callaghan of South Boston, who spoke eloquently of the building of temples to God as among the noblest works in which man can engage. It was especially fitting, he said, that the members of the Irish race, the faithful children of St Patrick, should build such edifices.
It was given to the Catholic Church, through God’s command and commission to St Peter to preserve in the world the principles of the true religion of the Catholic and universal church of Jesus Christ.
This church in Norwood will remain for long years a comfort to the sorrowing, a refuge for the unfortunate and the erring, a blessing in birth and in marriage and in the hour of bereavement and death.
The singing of “To Thee, O Country” and “Te Deum” closed the exercises.
There was a considerable number of Protestant people in the audience representing every denomination in the town. Selectmen Richard E. Oldham, James A. Hartstrom and James W. j Conger had seats on the platform for quests.
Rev James B. Troy of South Boston was among the attendant clergy and was greeted by many of his old friends and parishioners.
Among the clergymen participating in the ceremony were Rev Thomas J. MacCormack, master of ceremonies; Rev John M. Corrigan, assistant master of ceremonies; Mgr Thomas Magennis of Jamaica Plain, Mgr George J. Patterson. vicar general; Mgr Dennis J. O’Farrell of Roxbury. Mgr Michael J. Splaine, DD. chancellor of the archdiocese; Rev Michael J. Buckley of Norwood, Rev Michael T. McManus. PR, of Brookline; Rev Michael J. Doody, PR, of Cambridgeport; Key James B. Troy of St Vincent’s church. South Boston; Rev Garrett J. Barry of Foxboro, Rev William J. Powers of Manchester, Rev Michael J. Owens of Lexington. Rev D. J. Crimmins of South Boston, Rev John McAuley of East Boston. Rev Patrick J. Sullivan of Providence, Rev Hugh Cleary of Somerville, Rev John Harrigan of Stoneham, Rev D. H. Riley of Walpole. Rev William Millard of Walpole, Rev Thomas J. Golding of Jamaica Plain, Rev J. J. O’Brien of Somerville, Rev Charles Donahue of Cohasset, Rev Hugh Smith of Medfield. Rev James J. Donovan of South Boston. Rev Frank S. Hart of Canton. Rev John J. Farrell of Canton. Rev Dennis Whooley, PR. of Roxbury; Rev Charles Finnegan of Groton, Rev Michael J. Crowley of Charlestown, Rev Joshua P. L. Bodfish of Jamaica Plain. Rev Henry A. Sullivan of Danvers, Rev Thomas R. McCoy of the cathedral, Rev John J. Crane of the cathe-aral. Rev James A. Walsh of the cathedral. Rev Francis X. Dolan. DD, of Hopkinton; Rev William II. Fitzpatrick of Milton. Rev John T. Mullen. DCL, of Hudson
St Catherine’s parish is in the charge of Rev Thomas J, MacCormack, with Rev M. J. Buckley and Rev John M. Corrigan as assistants.
The architectural style of St Catherine’s church is 16th century English Gothic, treated freely and picturesquely. An interesting feature of the scheme is. the absence of the conventional basement church and the substitution therefor of a morning chapel, in such relation that its chancel and that of the main church communicate directly with the sacristies.
The tower occupies an unusual relation in that it rises from the chancel walls. Its diameter, therefore, is such as to give it an unusually imposing and sturdy Gothic character, terminated, as it is, on the exterior, not by the ordinary spire of slate, but by a thin stem carrying an ornamental cross.
Another feature is a small devotional chapel of the blessed sacrament, on the left side of the chancel.
The seating capacity of the main church is 1000. The sanctuary is unusually deep, and its square termination, which Is characteristic of this style, has given the opportunity for a mullion window high up over the altar, corresponding to that in the facade.
The treatment of the interior will give an effect of architectural vitality. The piers and principal arches will be of stone of mellow shade. The roof will have interesting timber work arranged in paneling. The morning chapel, which will have a capacity of about 300, contains the confessionals, arranged so as not to obtrude into the auditorium.
The entire Interior scheme is intended to give an effect of unusual dignity and ornamental restraint. No regard has been given in the developing of the plans to the local precedence of any sort plans to the local residents of any sort.
Great care has been taken to make the building one that is easily administered and wherein every element has been placed rubically. There is no effort to appeal to any secularized text by gaudy or extravagant ornament. The aspect f of the building will be essentially serious and devotional.
The exterior is being constructed of gray brick of Roman dimensions and limestone trimmings. The architects are Maginnis & Walsh of Boston.
(The Boston Globe, April 26, 1909)