fbpx

This Day In Norwood History-November 2

NORWOOD TOWN MEETING,
New Eight-Room Schoolhouse, to Cost $38,000 Ordered

This 12887 plan would have used land on the corner of Nahatan and Market street for the new Fire Station. The Norwood Town Hall sits on the land today. The firehouse, later used for both fire and police, was eventually built directly across the street on the opposite corner of Nahatan and Market streets

02 Nov 1905, Thu The Boston Daily Globe

NORWOOD, Nov 2—At the special town meeting last night, interest centered on the location for new fire station. The site selected by a majority of the town committee on Washington st, in the more crowded business section of the town and to the close vicinity of Catholic and Universalist churches, proved unpopular with several of the fire engineers and with the mass of the voters. An amendment to purchase land on Market st, a less crowded thoroughfare, prevailed, and land will be purchased there at a probable cost of about $4000.

The town voted by a large majority to erect a new brick or concrete construction schoolhouse in the westerly section of town, at a cost of $38,000. It will be an eight-room school building and will be located on land to be taken by the town on Chapel st and Winslow av, at a cost of $3500. This will be the most costly school building the town has yet erected.

The town voted to expend $300 in street improvements and $325 for the extension of water mains. Clifford B. Sanborn was chosen moderator.

error: Content is protected !!
%d bloggers like this:
search previous next tag category expand menu location phone mail time cart zoom edit close