Bishop to Help Former Parish Mark 75th Year in Norwood
The observance will last from Apr. 20, when a jubilee ball will be held at Rolland, through May 2d, when a tour of the church, school and convent, will follow a sort of ecumenical concert in which the choirs of churches of other faiths will join that of St. Catherine.
For the parishioners and the pastors, this will be a double celebration, for this year also marks, the 25th anniversary of Rt. Rev. Robert J. Sennott’s ordination to the priesthood.
St. Catherine’s Church was founded by the late Archbishop Williams in April of 1890, Rev. James B. Troy, the first pastor, served from its founding through 1907.
The other pastors: Rev. Thomas J. McCormack, Rev. William Keating, Rev. James F. Doherty, Rt. Rev. Joseph Walsh, Bishop Minihan and Msgr. Sennott, who was chancellor of the archdiocese before coming to St. Catherine’s.
An idea of the growth of the church since the early days is the size of its parochial grammar school attended by almost 1600 children, making it one of the largest, if not the largest in the archdiocese.
Bishop Minihan will confirm more than 300 children of the parish on Apr. 27.
On Apr. 30, the feast day of the patron saint of the parish, Msgr. Sennott will celebrate Mass. The date also marks his first anniversary as pastor of the church.
An advisory committee of long-time members of the parish includes: Fred Adelmann. Daniel Callahan, James Callahan, Miss Margaret Crowley, James Cuff, Mrs. John Dixon, John Daunt, Francis Duncan and John Flaherty. Also Michael Flaherty, Mr. and Mrs. Charles Giinther, Martin Lydon, Miss Agnes Marsh, Mrs. Mary Murphy, Mrs. Rose Nicholson, Joseph Nuttall, William O’Brien, Miss Margaret O’Connell, Miss Catherine Tarpey, Miss Mary Walsh and Mrs. Mary Wilford. John Russell is serving as treasurer.