This September 1910 plan of John E. Smith’s Estate shows a very different downtown area than we recognize today. At that time, Market street ran from Old Parish Cemetery to Nahatan st, then turned diagnolly Westward toward Washington street, cutting across the current Norwood Common and ending close to the present day intersection of Cottage and Washington st.
This July 5, 1923 plan shows Central street at the center in it’s original location between Market st and Broadway. Today the street would have passed through the Municipal parking lot behind the current Norwood Theater, exiting onto Nahatan st near the Town Square Diner.
In July of 1922 plans were underway for major changes.
The proposed new Town Common (Memorial Park) is shown on this October 25, 1924 plan. A new street (“Proposed street”) would connect Market and Central street, and a new, wider extension of Cottage street would run East to Broadway. Nahatan street would be widended between Washington and Broadway, and Washington would be widended between Nahatan and Cottage streets. There are parking spots on Cottage, Central and Nahatan streets today, and a cab stand and room for the bus to pull over on Washington street because of this widining.
Central street no longer ran straight through to Nahatan, but would curve to meet the Cottage street extension.
Eventually, the name “Market street” was dropped and the street became Central street from Old Parish Cemetery to Guild Square.