Inside the Day House
The Great Hall has three floors and two balconies. Its gold-leafed vaulted ceiling is 33 feet high; the woodwork is oak.
View of the Great Hall from the third floor balcony.
The room is paneled in Honduran mahogany and the windows are leaded glass, with painted panels depicting members of French royal families.
A reception was held here in 1872 following the official incorporation of the town of Norwood. Note the leaded glass windows, silk damask wall covering and wall-to-wall carpeting (perhaps the oldest in Norwood.)
Marble fireplace in Parlor
This cast iron fireplace was rescued from the demolition of an early South Dedham dwelling, the Capt. William Everett house. Day spent much of his time in this room - reading, writing and conducting genealogical and historical research.
This was Day's bedroom in later life. The fireplace features Delft tiles with Biblical scenes; the pewter communion vessels are from the 1736 First Congregational Church in South Dedham.
Photos by Susan Donahue.