INSIDE THE NORWOOD PRESS
Letter to Lyman Smith's Sons
©Norwood Historical Society, Norwood, MA. All rights reserved. Contact us for information about using this image.
 

Click the following link to download a larger version of the photograph:
[Norwood Press]

The Norwood Press was formed in 1894 by several individual companies coming together to form a company that covered all aspects of the book-making process. They built a new factory on Washington Street in Norwood. The J.S. Cushing & Co. handled composition and typesetting and Berwick & Smith Co. was the pressroom. In 1897, the bindery E. Fleming & Co. (later known as C.B. Fleming & Co.) joined the Norwood Press to complete the book-making process. Norwood Press specialized in textbooks, bibles, catalogues and pamphlets and became one of the largest companies of its kind.

This photograph is of men and women at work in the C.B. Fleming & Co. bindery, where printed pages were sewn and glued into finished books and pamphlets. Note the equipment used, the clothing worn and the different steps in binding a book.

Collection: Mss.2 Norwood Press (b.1, f.11)
Date: ca. early 1900s
Location: Norwood, MA
Item type: photograph
Photographer: unknown
MA History/
Social Studies Frameworks:
3.11, 3.12, 3.13, USII.2, USII.3, USII.5, USII.8

Return to Norwood industries.

This project is supported by a grant from the Norwood Cultural Council, a local agency which is supported by the Massachusetts Cultural Council, a state agency.

 

 
Norwood Historical Society, The Day House, 93 Day Street, Norwood, MA 02062 | Tel: 781-762-9197 | info@norwoodhistoricalsociety.org